Adafruit piTFT 2.8 plus version problem

Yes, I have set it in the webtool settings. No picture on my adafruit. HDMI isn’t available as a standard signal? As I understood by now from other postings? I wander if Axeman did any wiring modifications on his 40-pin Adafruit.

But did you make any wiring modifications? First I used a full 40 pin connector without any result. My display stayed white. Then I’ve read the Adafruit data and found out that the first 26 pins are the same, like the original. So I use now a 26 pin connector just like the original kit 1 part. And put it into pin 1 to 26 leaving the others unused. Now my display changes during boot from white into almost black but no splashscreen? appears. That’s why I was thinking of a hardware problem. Although it seems impossible to me that there must be a wire change.
But after al my attempts I’m searching this failure everywhere. :wink:

This is one of the very first pictures I did while testing the hardware. As you can see, I used a good old IDE cable with 3 40 pins connectors to join rPI, HiFiBerry and piTFT.

The assembled version shared the same connection style, just with shorter cables. But still, each pin of the 40 pin connector is carried to all the boards…

Google Photos

Thanx for your pictures! Perhaps my home assembled cable is the problem. I’ll search for a old ide cable overhere this evening. You’re very helpfull!

Me again. Still no picture on my Adafruit display. On HDMI I managed to get a picture. Changing display type and or framebuffer number in the webbrowser gave a error picture or a very small splash screen in a corner of my hdmi screen. Also at one moment during boot I was able to read an message like “Can not load splash screen” or something like that. So I looked in my files and discovered that the file “99-pitft.conf” was completey missing. After several updates still no file like that! Now I’ve created it by hand, is this the right script? And how is it possible that I get pictures on my HDMI screen while this file was missing?

Section "Device"
Identifier "Adafruit PiTFT"
Driver "fbdev"
Option “fbdev” "/dev/fb1"
EndSection

Sorry for answering so late…

I got two Zynthian working with the Adafruit-2.8" display. One is working in my Disco-Zynthian (see Zynthian at Maker Faire Berlin: 30.9.-2.10.2016), the other one in a Zynthian v1. Both without problems, a selfmade cable and the latest Zynthian image.

Regards, Holger

pls send us the logs

systemctl stop zynthian
/zynthian/zynthian-sys/sbin/zynthian.sh

and pls use a fresh
zynthian_gorgona_next_rbpi3_piscreen2-2017-11-14
and update it (maybe more than once)
Best to use the update over ssh, so that you see what happens.

Use webconf to change the settings.

If this doesn’t work, my best guess is hardware (cable and in the worst case display itself)

The one in the Disco-Zynthian picture is not the same as the OP one (or mine). Your is the original version, our is the “+”, with 40 pin header and the 4 buttons on the right side.

Ahhh - ok. I bought old stuff - I see :wink:

Hi @GertB!

The webconf configuration process should create all the needed files for the display you selected. You don’t need to create by hand.

Anyway, there is an official SD image that is pre-configure for the PiTFT 2.8’ display, so it should work out-the box. Please, download this SD image and try again:

http://blog.zynthian.org/download/zynthian_gorgona_next_rbpi3_pitft28-2017-11-14.img.torrent

Regards,

Hi Jofomodo, I think this will give me some security. Being a developer myself I know that hardware/software related issues can be very hard to find. My display is a new one, but at this stage, I’ve even doubts about it. If this img. also not works, I’ll wil flash a Linux distribution for the raspberry pi and install the display with the adafruit driver. And to go for sure I’ve ordered a clone also. It will certainly build more then one, once working. So a extra display is welcome. :wink:

Thanks for all the help! Best regards…

I hope the price was less :wink:

That gives hope to me! :wink: Great to see your Disco-Zynthian. Zynthian is such a great project that I was waiting for. Years ago I myself started a stand-alone vst-player project based on a itx board, self (auto) booting (without keyboard connected) Windows xp and a lcd on the printerport. But this Zynthian project has much more potential! I’ve already got some Dutch midi fanatics interested in it. :wink: I already managed to redraw(modify) the pictures for a steel housing into g-code files for cnc machine. (3 layer project wit 3mm bend groove) I have used plastic sheet of 2mm and it works. As soon as I have a working Zynthian I’ll look for a good place at this forum to publish my pictures, movies and files for it. In future I plan to port it (give it a try at least) on a Orange board. Very interesting all this and hoping for raspberry boards with more speed! :wink: So don’t tell I’m not driven! :wink:

Here it is. I think my display has a error.

Is here a error? modules

Hm - my /etc/modules look nearly the same:

root@zynthian:/zynthian/zynthian-ui# cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.

i2c-dev

# Modules Added by Zynthian System Config

I think the best will be to test with a Raspian and a setup which Adafruit made for this display - just to be sure it works. After that this setup should be copied to a Zynthian setup. Perhaps there is something to add to the Zynthian configuration…

Regards, Holger

Why do you think there is an error? I can’t see anything problematic at the startup of zynthian.sh

I can’t see any error. My Zynthian with PiTFT 2.8’ says:

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.26-v7+ armv7l Raspbian
Current Operating System: Linux zynthian 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l
Kernel command line: 8250.nr_uarts=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3dc00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x3f000000  dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
Build Date: 11 November 2016  11:59:59AM
xorg-server 2:1.18.4-2+rpi1 (https://www.debian.org/support) 
Current version of pixman: 0.33.3
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Nov 14 13:30:12 2017
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
INFO:root:Wiring Layout PROTOTYPE-4
DEBUG:root:ZYNCODER A: [26, 25, 0, 4]
DEBUG:root:ZYNCODER B: [21, 27, 7, 3]
DEBUG:root:SWITCHES layout: [107, 23, 106, 2]
DEBUG:root:DISABLED_MIDI_IN = ['']
DEBUG:root:ENABLED_MIDI_OUT = ['MIDI_out']
Zyncoder: Zynswitches poll thread created successfully
Zyncoder: MIDI tuning frequency set to 440 Hz (8192)
INFO:root:SWITCHES INIT...
INFO:root:SETUP GPIO SWITCH 0 => 107
INFO:root:SETUP GPIO SWITCH 1 => 23
INFO:root:SETUP GPIO SWITCH 2 => 106
INFO:root:SETUP GPIO SWITCH 3 => 2
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL 'Layer': 0 (0 -> 2), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL 'Bank': 0 (0 -> 0), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL 'Layer': 0 (0 -> 2), None, None

Exactly the same :wink:

You say the display doesn’t show the UI, but the back-light is on or off? Could you try to turn-on the light by hand? The AdaFruit pages should have information about that for your specific model.

Finally, if that is not the problem, you should think that perhaps your display is broken ;-(

Regards,

As @C0d3man said, @GertB you should test the bare system (rPI + display only), with AdaFruit images (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-28-inch-resistive-touchscreen-display-raspberry-pi/easy-install)

sure

1 Like