Adafruit NeoTrellis M4 with Enclosure and Buttons Kit Pack

Very pretty, very sexy, very expensive. I love it but won’t be buying one. I don’t think it suits @freeKey’s classic retro organ style :wink:.

Been looking at SubZero’s products…
Many of their items I already have seen them before, coming from other brands…
One of their 25key keyboards is the original Arturia Minilab, which has also been a model by the brand “Worlde”…
Another 25 minikeys keyboard by Subzero, I have it at home, and was initially produced by Eagletone Engineering… knob is different… maybe the pushbuttons as well…

One of their 49 keys model, I once had it in white, produced by Prodipe… Also exists in 25 keys, by both brands…
Only the knobs have been changed, and it seems that they are the same knobs as used by Arturia for their first Keylab series…

When too many buttons are barely enough … Kickstarter with a random, fly by night, one off midi controllers save the day. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irijule/theoryboard-thy333-music-theory-made-easy I seriously need half a million or 3 to back a few of my crazy ideas :>

This is the sort of use case I had in mind. An interactive grid with a graphical or informative section on the Zynthian screen. I think the Norns Lua scripting approach for designing both the UX and sound engine could make customising the Zynthian a bit more accessible.

Update on SubZero ControlPad64 (aka Worlde Ocra Pad64):

I got one of these for my birthday and tldr; I don’t like it.

Good points:

• Class compliant USB MIDI
  • MIDI output (via 3.5mm to 5-pin DIN adaptor provided)
  • 64 velocity sensitive pads plus other buttons
  • Option to enable channel or polyphonic aftertouch for each pad (disabled by default)
  • Small and light
  • Each pad configurable individually as note on/off (toggle or push on / release off) or CC (value based on velocity or toggle between two values)
  • Aftertouch too sensitive and/or verbose, sending messages when no pad pressed or maybe it just sends so many messages that the receiving end takes ages to process them all

Bad points:

• In note on/off mode, every time you hit a pad it plays a visual pattern across buttons with a different pattern for each pad. This is migraine invoking!
  • Often double triggers which is particularly noticeable in toggle mode
  • Some pads trigger adjacent pads
  • Cannot configure button behaviour (including colours) without windows application
  • Windows application does not scale - cannot read many legends making it very difficult to use
  • High power usage - Zynthian will not run with other peripherals and barely runs with just the ControlPad64 connected (may be related to issue below)

The device I received is faulty with some buttons not working and some buttons triggering other buttons. It is possible that some of the above issues (like high power consumption) are due to the unit fault.

This is disappointing because I fancied the idea of pads with aftertouch but this just doesn’t deliver. As the unit is faulty I will return it for a refund. I may look at other controllers like the Launchpad but am not sure if I really need one having played with this.

1 Like

Happy birthday! :gift:

1 Like