Another SBC

I totally agree! I was astonished that it have already been 10 years (looked at Wikipedia).

Those times with centronics, RS232 and PS/2 and no USB :sweat_smile:

Proud to have such geeky kids!

10 Likes

Lovely :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Not exactly a new SBC, but this is a beatifull example of what skilled people can do with Raspberry CM4.

Hey SeedStudio: Where are the 4 rotary encoders :laughing:?

1 Like

Ohh man! I didn’t see this until now!! Woaooo! What a nice gift!! You are a lucky man …

We’ll have to wait a bit until we can get one.

here is a new candidate, the VisionFive V1, with a 2 core RISC processor and 8Gb RAM.

announced at 149$

More infos in these slides. To be noted, the next version (see page 14):

• Quad Core U74 RV64GFC
  • High Performance 3D GPU & Audio DSP
  • PCIe 2.0 x 2 Interface
1 Like

Nice product, but a bit expensive at 99 dollars.

This company also sells 5inch DSI displays for RBPi on Aliexpress so I Guess it should be the same panel.

Can be purchased bundled with a CM4 board

Well, the cheapest option is for a CM4 lite (without emmc), 2GB + WIFI/BT: 180$ :frowning:
so the CM4 board is charged 80$. It’s 45 $ in a French official reseller online store (but in pre order for a shipment estimated in mid July)

Here is a review of Raspberry Pad 5 (and SeeedStudio reTerminal *) from Jeff Geerling.

Also, I’ve discovered this amazing project:

it looks like … magic !!!

*) reTerminal is in stock, at the same price as last year (195$) and has a CM4 with 4Gb Ram + WIFI/BT + 32Gb Emmc. It has a better display (1280x720), a case, 4 assignable buttons, it expose the PCIe interface.
It’s a much better deal imho then the Raspberry Pad 5 + CM4 2Gb + WIFI/BT no Emmc at 180$

2 Likes

Devterm is a kind of “cyberdeck” built around a core daughter board, an extension board, and a base SOM (CPU+RAM+storage) that could be equiped with rbpi CM3, rbpi CM4 (via an adapter board), allwinner H6, rockchip rk3399 and even RISC V allwinner D1 chip.

A video showing the devterm in action with CM3 and rk3399 SOM

It’s sold at 239 bucks with the Risc V allwinner D1 SOM. For 19 more you can get the interfacing board for a CM4. So, if you own a CM3 or a CM4 you will be able to use it in the RBPi software ecosystem, and give a try to the new hype: RISC V

All of the boards!

With Filters!

2 Likes

:+1:

An interesting range of planned RISC-V boards, all based on the ‘LM4A’ module which goes into a SODIMM socket. And it has a lot more English than the preview which the forum is showing me now.

Here’s an article about it:

The “VisionFive” SBC is now up to version 2:
https://www.starfivetech.com/en/site/boards

And here is the product page from a reseller, ameriDroid:

with a 25% tariff notice!

1 Like

So far RISC-V seems behind ARM in performance. It is still early days and time will tell. This is reminiscent of the great Intel vs AMD wars of the last millennia.

I agree, the RISC-V world isn’t quite there, yet. And as someone said, predictions are difficult, particularly about the future!

Here’s an interesting article about efforts currently in progress:

1 Like

Here’s a good quick review of the board under Debian with a lot of usefull informations.
For European customers Allnet China should be a better deal then Ameridroid even with port and taxes duties.

I had a Beaglebone Black years ago. Still got it, but it stopped working like two hours into using it and I’ve never been able to revive it.

Do not expect high performance, but it is low cost, has a NVME M2 slot + optional EMMC.
And even better:
https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock3/hardware/3c/gpio
Rock3c breaks on its GPIO header multichannel I2S lines.

Look at this: a CM4 compatible SOM with a RISC-V processor (JH1770, the same as VisionFive V2), starting at 34$ !

3 Likes