Audio Setup

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 7/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 2: MK2 [Traktor Audio 2 MK2], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The real problem here is how people communicate.
Like the comment about ‘alsamixer -c1’
Obviously there is parameters one can add and which ones are available and what they mean would be really helpful and not some guy throwing in a comment like ‘alsamixer -c1’ and then others ask what that means or where this goes and how and nothing.
You guys are too cryptical.
I am a musician and I do have good experience with computers since VIC20 times, plus programming experiences, but without a clear documentation I am lost and spend hours and days trying things out, not knowing what I am doing, because no explanation.

Your card is recognized by linux
In webconf, audio hardware, when sélectif “generic USB” lodify thé jackd sound server paramètres like:
hw:MK2 instead of hw:0

Each sound soundcard (or midi device) has a specific “Alsa name”, and thé numbering Alsa does between each of them is quiet erratic

I take it as a compliment

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

do aplay -L and then copy the line with something along the lines:

hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 
      Usb Device bla bla bla

and then edit the -d hw:0 part of this line to something like this
-P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:CARD=Device -r 44100 -p 256 -n 2 -X raw

I am a musician and I do have good experience with computers since VIC20 times, plus programming experiences, but without a clear documentation I am lost and spend hours and days trying things out, not knowing what I am doing, because no explanation.

To be fair, the “no fuss no mess just get going and make music” kinda experience is what’s offered as the full kit, If you went DIY route it’s on you (not trying to be rude, but at that point it’s a community project, not a product) to fix the issues with your particular hardware. If you found it frustrating and think of any way in which the documentation could be made any better, please do add to the wiki any new parts that you find interesting or useful, or that you would’ve liked to find.

It’s true that there is a lot missing in the wiki that’s present in the forum and it would be great to take it and put it there, but, in the end, everybody is helping out of good will and love for this project, so please keep that in mind.

2 Likes

This might be true, that things go easier with the full package, but I want to test this system before I buy a full package.
I am very happy about the performance so far. The sequencer is still a bit of a mystery too and my MIDI usb hub is showing up in the MIDI settings and I activated all IN and OUT channels, but nothing is coming out there.
Before I spend hundreds of Euros I wanna be sure what I am getting and I have some unique requirements, which I didn’t even get to check yet.

I work with special tunings and what I have seen so far, the Master Tuning section is only offering full Hz steps. I need to be able to setup more precise master tunings, like 432.09 Hz and such.
Same for the BPM. I need to be able to setup precise tempos.

Well, a bit more testing and I am happy to participate with professional advice about synth technology and parameter setting requirements.

Tempo is currently constrained to integer (whole number) BPM values. I know it would benefit from fractional tempo so intend to implement it but it isn’t there yet.

1 Like

Thanks, @riban for the info.

I am a producer and live performer and I would love to take the Zynthian on stage.
I am making music with special tunings and I actually programmed a calculator to generate the tuning data, which is based on planetary orbital times.
let me give you an example:
Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 14.57.18

This method is called the cosmic octave and as you can see the calculations are based on orbital times of celestial objects.
I am an expert in this field and my partner in this project is a highly trained and experienced producer and sound engineer too. We both love the Zynthian concept, but in this state, we simply can’t use it yet. For our live setup, it would be wonderful to be able to have such a tool.
I am also a trained media-designer/programmer and I have for some time a concept ready for a revolutionary new synth, which has a lot in common with your project.

In this picture, you can see my concept of the synth which is a big touch screen and all modules can be freely arranged on the screen for the individual needs.
On that example, you can see for example a circular step sequencer in the center and the idea is also to use real-world data, like GPS location or weather- and biofeedback data for the modulation of musical parameters.
Yes, this is very futuristic and nothing like this exists yet.
I have the feeling you guys and the work you did already would be the perfect starting point to realize such a project.

Maybe you guys would be interested in a collaboration and I would love to share my expertise as a producer, musician, and application designer to help to get your device on a higher level.
I am aware this is a lot of work, but as you can see on the embedded screenshot of my calculator, I have the code ready working for the calculations of such musical tuning data and it should be not such a big deal to implement such a module.
In recent years more and more artists are jumping on that train of special tunings and the ability to be able to implement precise data, like BPM and also Master Tuning as float numbers would open that door.
No DAW on the market is flexible enough for these needs and an open-source project like Zynthian would be the perfect way to go.

Let me share our Youtube channel here, so you can see how we work. All our performances are freely improvised. We only prepare a set of sounds for each planet tuning and then we improvise for 1 hour on each theme.
We use now Ableton Live because this seems the best solution for our needs for now.
Still, there are issues also with that and as you can see we use mostly real synthesizers and my part is the atmospheres where I fire off samples and the gongs I play are so-called symphonic planet gongs, which are also tuned in that particular way.

The Constellation (Planetary Ambiance)

1 Like

William D Drake and I pitched a similarly themed performance to the Jodrell Bank observatory. Sadly they didn’t bite,but I saw various Synth performances in the planetarium there, where some data was derived from the time model of the planetarium and some processing of direct data from the telescopes. Much fun!

3 Likes

Yes, I am exactly on that road. Deeply involved for 20 years now and in 2012 I finally started to program this musical tuning calculator, which can convert any time period, frequency and even colour wavelength into musical tuning data.
I am a trained designer and it took me hundreds of tutorials to get through the programming process.
I started with a simple PHP version, because it was closest to my knowledge, than I translated it into C++, but had issues creating a UI and then I finally decided to use X-Code and translated it again into objective-C.

UPDATE: Solved!

I’ve got a custom board I’m making using a WM8731 - i’m using dtoverlay=rpi-proto for config

I’ve got zynthain up and running, but would like to customize whatever is needed to get the mixer info on the Audio Levels page.

I’m happy to modify this myself - just need some pointers on where to do that.

EDIT - looks like this info all shows up in the web-config (mixer controllers), but on on-device (Audio Levels page)

EDIT 2 - looks like I’m just a newb. Figured out that I need to check the checkboxes in the mixer controllers and now I’ve got controls on the Audio Levels page.

amixer output

Simple mixer control ‘Master’,0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 127
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 124 [98%] [3.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 124 [98%] [3.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Master Playback ZC’,0
Capabilities: pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Mono: