Avoiding Zynthian power down failure

@Baggypants, The overlayfs seems to have real promise.

Have you tried this yet? I’d love to be able to just hard power down the RPi rather than use a battery UPS or Supercap.

No I’ve not. , sorry!

Tried this today following the instructions suggested by @baggypants:
https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Setting_up_overlayFS_on_Raspberry_Pi
I was able to get it working. Two differences to note: include /root in your list of directories to sync. and /boot partition might/should also be mounted as read only.

I have not yet decided if /boot should be a sync on normal shutdown or if webui should remount it as read-write make changes, and then remount as read-only. Making /boot read only would ensure that it is only written to when webui had changes, but would require changes to zynthian. I might try the sync /boot option first, and see how that goes.

Still needs pretty good unexpected power-down testing, but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

If there is further interest in this, I can work on a wiki page.

2 Likes

Hi @smiths73v3

many thanks for testing!

I am very interested in this, because I hope to get my Zynthian more stable for the stage. It would be pretty cool if you can write down a short recipe for the wiki!

Regards, Holger

2 Likes

Should we create a GitHub issue / task / project / separate GitHub repo for UPS integration? There seems like an appetite for a range of solutions from temporary outage support (super-caps) to full-blown battery powered Zynthian. It would be good to develop support for these solutions and hence be able to list supported devices. This is separate and in addition to the interesting work that @smiths73v3 is doing with ro-filesystem.

1 Like

There certainly is. GPIO allocation seems to be something that’s going to get involved.