Back encoder not working correctly

Hi, got my v4 kit recently and I am quite happy with it, but there is one problem. Rotating the back encoder does not work correctly. If I rotate it, the values climb very slowly and unreliably (rotation direction does not matter. Any ideas? Any checks I can do?

Tried v3, v3pro, v4 in webconf

root@zynthian:~# gpio i2cd
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: 20 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- UU -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

1 Like

Most zynthian issues tend to be Power Supply related so that is possibly the first device to suspect.
So reassure yourself that that side of things is ok.
I see you are using a v4 kit so that means you live in a world of Type C connectors and powering which seems from my initial investigations a more defined world so hopefully you have a decent PSU.

The other thing to try is to swap the connector from the back encoder with another encoder. The individual encoder cards have no personality so they swap with no problems. It’s a pretty quick way of telling you at which end of which cable the problem is.

There are are all kinds of electronic checks one can run but, frankly the zynthian is a pretty good test.
There will, of course, be a :face_with_monocle: to be collected at the end of this. . . .

It’s why we do it .:smiley:

Kind of looks ok to me.

Sounds like the encoder.

Could you upload pictures of it?

See pictures above. Pasted it in an old browser tab… and I did owerwrite the post before

Do you have access to a multimeter?

Not right now, mine went missing. But I can get one probably tomorrow.

Hi @sisko, it seems you have a bad encoder. You will receive a replacement in a few days.

Excuse the inconveniences …

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I got your delivery yesterday. It is now working as expected :+1:

1 Like

May I refer dear @sisko to . . . .

Yes, I will try :). But it will take a while. Have to think about something. I am more the performer not the producer. I wanted to do a video where a try show some functionality from the live performer perspective.

1 Like

Just use the audio recording to grab some playing… :smiley:

Ohhh! I think both of them would be OK! After all, i remember to have shipped 2 spare encoders … :grin:

First, a fast audio. Nothing special. Perhaps a little fonk-demo with the setBfree, or some cute standard with the Pianoteq …