Can't use VNC [SOLVED!]

I may have paid more attention (and provide useful feedback) if I had noticed the subject had veered away from the thread title. Remote X-server is possible and fairly trivial for showing both:

• full Zynthian display
  • acting as a second screen to show (supported) engine GUIs

I have had both working. This is not vnc.

2 Likes

Sure, this is not VNC at all. Is it even possible to see the full zynthian display and GUI of these 4 engines with it, via VNC ?

Not sure. I’m playing around with an LCD touchscreen and Xwindows and raspbian to try to get my head round it. Largely it’s that most hateful of techniques cutting and pasting magic chunks of config from one place to another.

The zynthiam gui runs in an Xwinow from tkinter but I don’t know if there’s a window manager that can support multiple x windows in that envirnment.
If you could overlay other xwindow sessions over the zynth GUI then VNC being the dumb screen copier it is would simply copy the objects it draws across to the client ( or server, thank you xwindows …) that you are running remotely. …

If you want to drive a specific engine gui, personally I’d think you’d be better off running that over a Putty like X-windows session simply because you have control over your windows sizes that can become involved across different sized screens especially if there’s an LCD sized screen involved in the original source.

I’m just after VNC so that Graphic less GUIs have something to fall back to. I’ve got problems firing up headless 3B’s and this is making the testing of various bits and pieces rather involved.
Ultimately there is a frame buffer running on the zynth and quite what goes into it is where we are at.

1 Like

I’ve had a crazy idea… What about… noVNC

what, you mean find a way to launch x11vnc from the web gui, and then launch noVNC inside a web page to connect to it? Insane idea! Let’s do it,

Ok, so it’s pretty easy. The hard bit is sorting out the new buster vnc server which has changed from vnc4server to tigervnc-server. If you do apt install vnc4server you then have to edit /etc/vnc.conf. Add the line $SecurityTypes = "None". You probably want to comment out the line starting $geometry as it’s set to huge.

Then run vncserver It now shouldn’t ask you for a password and launch the server listening at display :1. This is localhost connection only so if you want to use a standard vnc viewer you will have to tunnel through ssh.

Then

git clone https://github.com/novnc/noVNC.git
cd noVNC
./utils/launch.sh --vnc localhost:1

This will throw up

root@zynthian:~/noVNC# ./utils/launch.sh --vnc localhost:1
Warning: could not find self.pem
Using local websockify at /root/noVNC/utils/websockify/run
Starting webserver and WebSockets proxy on port 6080
websockify/websocket.py:30: UserWarning: no 'numpy' module, HyBi protocol will be slower
  warnings.warn("no 'numpy' module, HyBi protocol will be slower")
WebSocket server settings:
  - Listen on :6080
  - Web server. Web root: /root/noVNC
  - No SSL/TLS support (no cert file)
  - proxying from :6080 to localhost:1

Navigate to this URL:

http://zynthian:6080/vnc.html?host=zynthian&port=6080

Press Ctrl-C to exit

Browse to the url and hit connect. You should get a big black screen.

Connect another ssh session to the zynth and run something like DISPLAY=:1 zynaddsubfx and the gui should launch in the web page.

I’ll leave proper full integration as an exercise for the reader.

edit: I think the wm being used in that screenshot is matchbox. If you install blackbox you might get a nice wm.

3 Likes

Amazing solution !!!

1 Like

Hi @zynthianers!

I just added noVNC integration. It’s enabled when enabling the VNC Server from UI’s admin or from webconf (UI options). Once it’s enabled, you can point your browser to:

http://zynthian.local:6080/vnc.html

for having super-easy access to the engine’s native UI. Also, a link is available on webconf’s software menu.

Please, update and test.

Enjoy … and thanks for clearing the way!!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s great! the “NoVNC” works quite nicely (using the direct link).

If it was intended that there is a link appearing in the software menu of the webconfig when the VNC server is on, it does not appear for me there.

I did find another issue: the UI options from the webconfig crashed for me:

http://zynthian.local/ui-options
500: Internal Server Error

@jofemodo - you have made my day ! Works perfect !

1 Like

You have to reload the webconf after enabling the VNC Server from the UI.

Curious. I can’t reproduce the error. Could you send the webconf log? From the terminal:

journalctl -u zynthian-webconf -f

and then provoke the error and copy/paste de error from the terminal.

Thanks!

hi @jofemodo,

Both issues magically disappeared while I tried to reproduce them again this morning after a reboot (and another update just to make sure).

3 Likes

Yea, I just dove into the possibilities of smaller, cheaper headless Zenthians relying on mobile device UI

Ok, so prior to this, I had the zynth display available via VNC on 5900… now I have the secondary screen on 5901 instead… any way i can have both?

I made it in there one time and at my second try noVNC doesn’t let me Connect. Very frustrating. noVNC server running, but no way to get on my zynthian. it worked nicely one time and I did it like explained above. no idea what is going on.

1 Like

bin off that old script. you’re supposed to be starting it in the admin on the zynthian and connecting using the zynthian webconfig page.

There is no option to show the instrument GUI via zynthian.local

With VNC viewer i can access the Zynthian UI, but i don’t need that. I have a touch screen.

noVNC did show it nicely, but only once.
I suspect some sort of security issue.

I am still stuck getting the original vnc screen on 5900… can we please get both options on the menu?

What is the feature request reference for this?

Please enable vnc:5900 via menu for the main zynthian screen (as well as vnc:5901 for instruments) · Issue #447 · zynthian/zynthian-issue-tracking · GitHub Here!

1 Like