Cardinal (VCV Rack) plugin

I have compiled Cardinal and also patched it to enable some more advanced OSC interface. Our friend falkTX who maintains Cardinal is not keen on some of these changes and they are not robust yet so I submitted a PR upstream. I am using Cardinal (outside of Zynthian) on RPi4 as a PoC for a project. It mostly works on a 64-bit RPi. That project may inform our consideration of whether Cardinal fits well in Zynthian.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I haven’t been playing with Zynthian recently either, but I do have a recurring half-idea for a Cardinal-running module as well:

• Raspberry pi (or orange pi) with Wifi, running a minimal system with buildroot, jack, jalv or modhost, and Cardinal
  • Custom “hat” PCB with an I2S audio DAC, and a RP2040 (or similar) running a CV-to-MIDI (over serial on a high baud rate) and one or two push encoders (also through MIDI)
  • Mini I2C screen, e.g. one of those cheap OLED displays

This should give 2x audio in, 2x audio out, 2-4 CV in at reasonable almost-audio speed, and no ridiculous costs in components. Well, beyond the time spent creating the schematic, PCB, and getting the software to play together :slight_smile: