Encoder broken while inserting knob

Hi José
I just made you kit but during assembly I had to realize that one of the encoders is broken (see attachment)…
Could you please send me another (plus maybe one of the mini-boards, three caps and the connector if you want to save me some de-soldering time)?
Thanks and cheers!
Florian

OK! I see. It seems like you pushed too strong while inserting the knob into the encoder stem.
Don’t worry about it. I will send you a replacement ASAP :wink:

Anyway, I would like to recall that this is commented in the wiki’s tutorial:

Insert the knobs
You should insert the knobs into the encoders before closing the case. This will avoid forcing the encoders too much as otherwise, you could break them. Follow these simple steps and you wouldn’t have any problem:

• moisten with water or saliva the encoder stem
  • press the encoder with the finger from the rear while pushing the knob from the front until is completely inserted

Regards,

Hi José
Thanks for your reply!
As I see it, the problem here is a lack little design flaw in the Encoder PCB:
The top half of the encoder stem is not secured onto the PCB, because the legs arent attached and are only bent to the sides.
While closing, the cables on the inside push against the PCM with it the lower half of the encoder, bending it sidewards and damaging the encoder.
I would instruct people to bend the legs around the PCB edges, to secure it a little bit more.
Another little problem arose btw:
Unfortunately the screen stays black during startup… I tried multiple times and the system wont give me a sign of ‘life’. Hdmi output gives me a Raspbian Linux GUI. Used Etcher to install the newest Version of Zynthian and re-checked all solders witout results.
Any ideas?
Florian

Please, confirm that you are using the “Gorgona Next” SD image.
Have you tried to access the webconf tool from your desktop computer?

Regards,

i fixed mine with tweezers, btw.
It happens, when you bend the other legs. Thats why Fernando said in the blog entry, don’t bend more than 45 degree iirc.
@jofemodo,

maybe you should ship the knobs inserted on the board already.
Might be cheaper than providing this return service.
No soldering though…

Anyway, you are right! For next PCB revisions, i will add some mm each side and make a pass-thru hole for the encoder legs, so it can be soldered. :ok_hand:

Regards,