How to get MIDI OUT on new v4 kit? [SOLVED!]

Sorry my bad
gpio readall

1 Like

Okay, I think the “first day” restriction is over bc it’s been 24 hours since I made this account . . . so . . . you can see my gpios above in the edit I made trying to get around the restriction! :smiley:

Hi @sehrgut!

Could you confirm that your MIDI-THRU is working OK?
If yes, then you should try swapping the connectors (THRU & OUT) in the zynaptik PCB and test if you get some MIDI-OUT simply playing some notes on your MIDI keyboard.

BTW, you are using Buster RC-2, true?

Regards,

1 Like

Buster RC-2, yes, from the link on the kitv4 build page.

MIDI-THRU is also working, yes. Last night checked that before closing up the case.

I’ll try that swap this evening when I’m home, thank you! If you have any other suggestions so I can pipeline them when I get it back on the bench, I’ll test any and everything.

1 Like

Oh! I should say I ran update from webconf last night hoping it might fix the midi issue, so I’m not on EXACTLY that image anymore, but whatever packages are tagged for update to that image in the repo.

Don’t worry! If you updated and it still boots and it’s functional, it’s OK for our case :wink:

Regards,

1 Like

Okay, so tested it both ways:

1. Sequencer into MIDI-IN, MIDI-OUT into a synth. The synth started playing as soon as the RPi received power.
  2. Swapped out the jacks, so the MIDI-OUT jack is connected to the MIDI-THRU header on the Zynaptic. The synth did NOT start playing as soon as the RPi received power.

Going to pull that jack assembly and test continuity on everything, and reflow any joints that might be bad.

Edit: Actually, gonna reboot and try using the THRU jack (currently the OUT jack) to see if I can get MIDI OUT first.

Edit squared: Yep! Got Take 5 playing on a Volca FM here . . . Thanks for the diagnostic help! I’m gonna see about getting this jack assembly fixed up!

Okay, I found the issue! The wrong pin on that socket is connected to red! Can you confirm, and then I’ll drop that connection one pin down?

HAHA! We have success!

I went ahead and read the MIDI physical spec again (I’m very much more a software than hardware person) and confirmed that yes the outer two pins are always NC, so I moved it to the correct pin. I now have MIDI OUT!

2 Likes

Excellent! Congratulations! you’re persistence paid off! Are you perhaps a recording person…? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Sehr gut :smile:

1 Like

I am! Lemme plug in my in-progress Arduino generative thingy and make a test recording for ya!

1 Like

Here you go! And if you’re interested in the (very alpha-stage) gizmo that wrote and performed it, check out github.com/sehrgut/ardeublement.

The patch is one I use on my Volca FM, but it sounds very different there than in Dexed. I’m gonna have to tweak all my Volca patches before using them more in Dexed, I’ve found.

Edit: Same, with a patch that likes Dexed better . . .

1 Like

Adds @sehrgut to the list of people with a down ticket for the main staircase to the battlements

3 Likes

This means I have a temporary reprieve from being chucked off said battlements?

2 Likes

It’s so much easier when they get the subtext . . .

Give it a week or two . . . :smiley:

2 Likes

In my defense, I HAD read enough to understand :face_with_monocle: even if you hadn’t clarified… :rofl:

2 Likes

Ups! My fault … although we double check all connector harnesses, there is always a % of “errors”.
I would find a way to compensate the error, OK? :wink:

The best!

1 Like

No need to compensate anything! I’ve already received more help and support here on this than I have with my issues with brand-new Moog equipment – by either phone or email – that cost a lot more!

If it weren’t for the work y’all had already done, I would be sitting around trying to get fluidsynth to play piano samples on an rpi3 and wondering why the onboard audio sounded crappy. (I discovered Zynthian when researching for that project, and just bought the Zynthian instead.)

4 Likes

Hi.
Is there a thru-off midi controller on zynthian?
or at least a way to disable the sending of note on messages from the port thru of zynthian v.4?
thanks