It's time for Buster RC-2. Testers Needed!

Did you choose that as audio config ?

if yes, that’s ok !
Blank screen with ip address happens when jack isn’t started
you can try to debug that through ssh:
once logged in:
systemctl stop jack2
/usr/local/bin/jackd -P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:ALSA -r 44100 -p 512 -n 3 -X raw
(these are default parameters for the onboard audio)
Check also that in /boot/config.txt following lines are here:
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2

Just flashed to 2020-05-27 and I didn’t experience any of the issues I got with 2020-5-29. Exact same config.

Kit = Custom
Audio = Rbpi On-Board Audio.

Setup was straight forward.

I’ll go back to 2020-05-29 again for a moment and take a screen shot of the audio settings in v27 to compare them to v29. I will also SSH in and do that check you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.
James.

I can confirm there’s something wrong with audio. I’ve rebooted zynthian to see if assignment of midi cc for controlling sound engines output level are stored in snapshots, but zynthian gave me the error screen.
Without having changed anything in audio configuration, now launching from ssh:
/usr/local/bin/jackd -P 70 -t 2000 -d alsa -d hw:U192k -r 48000 -p 256 -n 3 -s -S -X raw
(arguments for UMC404 HD)gives me:
ALSA: no playback configurations available (Invalid argument)
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel

Not strictly relevant but nevertheless I’ve just updated a build from . . .well a fair while (2019-12-05) ago :slight_smile: on a 7" touch . . .

I’m going to try it with a couple of sequences. Sadly the little plastic stick doesn’t work on it I will probably use a mouse . . .

Anyone know how I can render up a plastic stick that works ?? silver paint on the end that sort of thing …?

Hi Le51.

I flashed back to 2020-05-29 and like before I only get as far as the Splash Screen / Error. I’ve also ran those checks you ask me to and the Boot/config is fine but after I stop Jack and run the next command I get the following error.

So for me right now, 2020-05-27 is good, but 29 won’t work for me at all.

Kind regards
James.

what does the command (through ssh) output:
aplay -l

Displays the following.

/boot$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

Hi Wyleu.
A tiny bit of tin foil can help, but depending on your screen it might need to be more like a chunky blob rather than a pin point. Capacitive Screen’s just need it to be a little bit wider than a point.

Regards
James

1 Like

again do:
systemctl stop jack2
then:
/usr/local/bin/jackd -P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:Headphones -r 44100 -p 512 -n 3 -X raw

Sure no problem.

so i rebooted zynthian => still the error, and my card isnt’ shown anymore when doing an aplay -l command.
unplugged/replugged the usb audio interface, and it’s up again, ui start :thinking:

looks like system hangs …

For sure, there’s something buggy here …

I can’t tell you more.

Thanks for all your help. I’m going to flash back to 2020-05-27 and go make some sweet music now :slight_smile:

music is the best

2 Likes

OK @zynthianers!

I’ve labeled the 2020-05-27 image as “Buster RC2”. It seems to be working quite nicely. Please, keep testing this image and report problems on this thread:

https://os.zynthian.org/2020-05-27-zynthianos-buster-lite-1.0.0-RC2.zip

I hope to take some days on my headquarters on BCN to test the latest images for having a final release ASAP.

Regards,

1 Like

I just updated the wiki links too …
If somebody find a link to Buster RC-1 that should be changed, please, notify me, or simply change it if you have access :wink:

1 Like

I wouldn’t use that one cause it contains two bugs already.
One related to AudioInjector and the other in this new MidiEngine area.
And I would wait for the next iteration of stepseq.
Why don’t we plan to use 07-01 and try to not commit major changes in the week before that date?

1 Like

So… which version to use? Wiki still pointing to RC2. How about we merge zynstep and create RC3 (after a few days of testing the merge went well)? Then as @mheidt days, put in a feature freeze.

6 Likes

Yeah right ! :smiley:

1 Like

Which one would be the most stable version to use with a Pi4¹ at the moment?
Actually in the end I don’t really care about latest features but serious stability as I’d like to take mine out for a little gig on tuesday :star_struck:

¹edit: Current setup is v3 kit with DAC+ADC Pro, but Pi4.