LV2 Controllers Groups

The “update_zynthian_sys.sh” script, that is run when you make config changes or update software, copy the content from this directory to the LV2 directories.
So, for devel/testing i recommend you copy the file directly to the LV2 directory. When the ttl is ready, copy it to the “zynthian-data/custom-lv2” directory and commit/push.

Thanks!

Also something that i’ve noticed is that the raffosynth.ttl that is read is not the one on zynthian_plugins folder but in usr/lib/lv2/raffosynth.lv2

This is kind of inconsistent, as there is a raffosynth file in the zynthian_plugins folder but it does not seem to get read (maybe another script like the one you mention takes care of this?) and also there are some synths that only appear in /usr/lib/lv2

I think it would be really benefitial to have this be the same for all plugins and have some docs in the wiki about it (I could write them myself) as this would allow for easier contribution in the groupings.

One think to keep in mind if we’re already using a folder to patch synths is that maybe then having some zynthian-specific *.ttl files might not be that much of a stretch, and might allow for some more options regarding UI and control screens.

Plugins are installed in different locations and it’s not easy to totally control that. A lot of plugins are installed from deb packages, so they get installed, normally, on “/usr/lib/lv2”.
Some others are built and installed from source, some of them on “/usr/local/lib/lv2”, and some others to “/zynthian/zynthian-plugins/lv2”. We could unify these 2 locations, but i don’t see a big advantage by doing so, and it would takes time and effort.
Normal users don’t need to know where plugins are installed. We can implement (it’s almost implemented) a mechanism for allowing to extend/patch installed plugins.

Regards,

Maybe sym-linking the two directories (/usr/lib/lv2 and /home/pi/zynthian_plugins/lv2) before setup could mean less duplication and more cohesive behaviour. I do agree that normal users need not be concerned about this things, but any developers that might want to contribute might be deterred if there’s no obvious way of finding stuff.

The extension/patching system seems like the way to go, but maybe having 3 files in the filesystem called the same is a bit misleading? (It feels like that to me), so maybe patches could have a prefix or suffix (zynth_*.ttl or *_zynth.ttl) to differentiate them from the original files, and we can unify files so that there’s not duplication where it isn’t needed.

Or put a README file in the directory explaining it’s use.

This is actually how I usually manage documentation in my work, I find In Situ docs to be the clearer and easier to maintain option for code repos.

I’ve just put a random waffly document together to hopefully get some broad views in the LV2 space. . . .

Be as rude as you wish…

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynthian_Engine_Preset_Structure

Not enough oblique references to ravens and dungeons.

1 Like

I’d add to what mr @Baggypants said that also it would be interesting to document the /usr/lib/lv2 where some plugins end up.
Otherwise, looks great!