Most playable / realistic (free) piano sample for Zyn / Pi3

I’ll get a beer just in case, thanks! And I can have it on any number of machines, right?

So only one of my instrument packs is showing up above the DEMO line . . . :confused:

I’m getting another 500 for “Update Presets”:

Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]: ERROR:tornado.application:Uncaught exception POST /sw-pianoteq (192.168.0.149)
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]: HTTPServerRequest(protocol='http', host='zynthian.local', method='POST', uri='/sw-pianoteq', version='HTTP/1.1', remote_ip='192.168.0.149', headers={'Host': 'zynthian.local', 'Connection': 'keep-alive', 'Content-Length': '547', 'Cache-Control': 'max-age=0', 'Origin': 'http://zynthian.local', 'Upgrade-Insecure-Requests': '1', 'Dnt': '1', 'Content-Type': 'multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundarynfrGkeZtuEqmwDNK', 'User-Agent': 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36', 'Accept': 'text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9', 'Referer': 'http://zynthian.local/sw-pianoteq', 'Accept-Encoding': 'gzip, deflate', 'Accept-Language': 'en-US,en;q=0.9,en-GB;q=0.8', 'Cookie': 'user="2|1:0|10:1596864610|4:user|8:cm9vdA==|debb023427cae654c278927acb7b273dcc0960718a67ecfecf430d38d3fb767f"; advanced_view=1'})
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tornado/web.py", line 1346, in _execute
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:     result = method(*self.path_args, **self.path_kwargs)
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tornado/web.py", line 2626, in wrapper
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:     return method(self, *args, **kwargs)
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:   File "/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/pianoteq_handler.py", line 82, in post
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:     }[action]()
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:   File "/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/pianoteq_handler.py", line 81, in <lambda>
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:     'UPDATE_PRESETS_CACHE': lambda: self.do_update_presets_cache()
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:   File "/home/pi/zynthian-webconf/lib/pianoteq_handler.py", line 144, in do_update_presets_cache
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:     zynthian_engine_pianoteq(None, True)
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:   File "/zynthian/zynthian-ui/zyngine/zynthian_engine_pianoteq.py", line 386, in __init__
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]:     fix_pianoteq_config(self.zyngui.get_jackd_samplerate())
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_jackd_samplerate'
Aug 11 03:55:56 zynthian zynthian_webconf.sh[381]: ERROR:tornado.access:500 POST /sw-pianoteq (192.168.0.149) 69.73ms

Edit: I see there’s a recent commit regarding pianoteq init, so I’m upgrading and gonna try again.

Edit 2: @khidr9 Since you bought the whole shebang, can you drop the output of /zynthian/zynthian-sw/pianoteq6/pianoteq --list-presets in this issue I opened? While ideally pianoteq will end up helping by making the CLI a bit more parseable, in the meantime your list of available presets should be sufficient to flesh out the exhaustive banks list.

1 Like

Thank you!

Update! This error should be solved now … i hope!

Thanks,

1 Like

I just checked, and the issue is closed - any need for my embarrassingly large preset dump? If you need it let me know.

Very interested in the difference in sound between the Mac/pc and the linux version. There’s a distinct loss of mid to lower register on our version, but other synths definitely hit that range.

1 Like

If any of your instruments are missing from the UI, he’ll need to see the list to explicitly include them, and will need your presets list for it. The registry of Pianoteq instruments Zynthian knows about is here, lines 257 and following:

However, if all the sets are showing up, then they’re already in the registry.

oh. oh no. pianoteq presets.zip (3.7 KB)

There are a… few more than that. But I think they all show up for me on the synth?

1 Like

That’s not exact, my dear @sehrgut.

Zynthian detect and list Pianoteq “factory” presets and also list the user presets dynamically.
What is hardcoded is the " instrument list", that is quite different … and much smaller!!

Regards,

2 Likes

Haha! I edited “presets” to “instruments” in one place in that reply, but forgot to complete the edit . . .

I wanted to finish this thought about the sound being distinguishable. It turns out its a very useful lesson. I recorded three samples (total play is 1:05) The first is the patch mk2 spark on the synth. At 12 seconds, it’s the same patch on the vst in ableton. The third is through the zynth again (0:27). Second round starts at 0:46 and is the synth with the Bechstein DG recording 1, first pass is with the zynth, at :53 it is the vst, and at 1:01 it’s the synth again.

I think the second and third recordings are indistinguishable beyond what can be accounted for by my not perfectly matching the gain on the DAC going into my interface from the zynth. The first samples from the zynth sounded a bit more hollow with less mid and low end, which is what I said above. What did I change? I added a DI box to properly convert the unbalanced outs to match the balanced ins on my mixer. Does anyone else hear the difference? One thing I think this tells me is the DAC on the hifiberry is really quite good since the other sample never leaves my computer. The other is I should always use a DI box. But my original statement about the difference is sound was wrong.

Sidenote - I didn’t have anything to quickly convert to ogg for forum fun so I uploaded it to the zynth as a wav for the conversion.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve been doing that.

Mixer line inputs allow unbalanced connection.
Passive di box, due to the presence of a transformer in it, can introduce additional distortion of the frequency response.

A mate of mine who works for a reasonably famous guitar company recommends passive transformers
OEP Z3003/E

10k:10k ct

With mu metal screening can and internal electrostatic shield

They’re about 12£ from RS

Brilliant things

I use them for everything. They sound great

There will be a transfer function, obviously, and you might not want any coloration, but the whole signal chain will have characteristics. These devices seem to please at least.

My mixer an Allen and Heath sq is all xlr balanced ins. I use di boxes for other synths but for some reason despite actually building this one mixed up the balanced ins with the outs. So I was definitely running the unbalanced outs to a balanced in with a trs to xlr cable.