New mixer proposal

RPi4. MIDI seems fine. It has MIDI in and out so I have another input.

It struggles at 48000, 256. It is better at 44100 but I will probably run at 32000 which I think will be fine for live performance It does not support 32000, lowest is 44100 so that is what I must use.

Pictures may follow. BBQ time (which was great!).

such a rig could well replace my old and rather hum ridden Behringer MX1604A . . .

Exactly what I intend to do. Don’t invest yet though. Let me do more stress testing.

@riban doing some stress testing. . .

1 Like

«this is the end», once stress tests are finished:

4 Likes

I think this may be my wife’s solution to my keyboard habit…

3 Likes

One of our intrepid adventurers, @ronsum has observed that libzynmixer does not get built automatically. If you care about why you can see my attempt to resolve it here. Meanwhile to get it working you need to ssh to your zynthian and perform the following steps:

/zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynmixer/build.sh

For the less-brave, I hope the pull requests get serviced soon so that we can all enjoy this (and many future) enhancements as technology previews before they make it to the mainstream / stable application.

4 Likes

What are the settings you are using to get the UMC1820 to fly?

Why? :thinking:

Why do you think…? :smiley:

The goods in department of zynthian towers is probably one of the busiest departments here . . . :hugs:

Highest casualty rate as well . . . :roll_eyes:

Meanwhile, we have a request from Despatch . . .

anyone want to buy an unloved Behringer Eurorack MX 1604A that hums to itself …?

@riban two quick questions.
1/ Which repos should I be running ?
2/ How do you think the UMC1820 would behave on a Pi3?

I did warn you to wait… premature purchases may be imprudent. The zynmixer is only a proposal at the moment (although already getting good reviews :smile:). There is no guarantee it will make it to the stable build. I guess you will always be able to use the current audio routing method but it does involve more manual configuration.

That said - welcome to the club. I am loving this device. It does so much of what I want. The only issues I have noticed (and they are almost insignificant are:

• The Optical I/O switch is on the front panel and its operation restarts the device (crashing JACK / Zynthian). IMO this is a design flaw as it would probably only be toggled when changing the optical device connected with is plugged to the rear panel. (I guess you might leave the optical cable in situ and plug to another device or switch another devices mode.) Workaround: Do not press button / put a guard over it.
  • There seems to be some cross-talk between channels. I have observed (but not yet heard) input level LEDs light on unused channels. This tends to be when the level on the used channels is excessive or some other glitch occurs, maybe an x-run. Workaround: I don’t think the cross-talk is excessive so likely to be buried in the signal, i.e. SNR sufficiently good.
  • The unit must be powered before the Zynthian is started otherwise it is not detected by JACK. I often forgot this but now tend to remember to turn it on first. Workaround: I may build an interface that turns on external devices at same time as Zynthian. I could possibly have a service that runs before jackd which asserts a pin. The interface could turn on power to other devices only when pin is strongly asserted, i.e. would be off if Pi is off.

The repo for zynmixer is cunningly disguised as zynmixer. I know - hidden in plain sight is a fantastic way to obfuscate things (for some people :roll_eyes:). You will have to manually build the library as described above.

I reckon the UMC1820 will probably be fine in its own right on a Pi3 but may struggle with the audio mixing in zynmixer. I have not tested any of that. My daughter acquired my Pi3 but I may re-commandeer it as I want to test various Pi3 things. You can tell us your experience.

Fully acknowledged.

It’s the surrounding gubbins that is actually of interest, webconf, zyncoder etc. It’s easy to loose track of these. Well it is for me.

Might have to get another Pi4 and appropriate touchscreen case to run it as my only Pi4 is doing sterling service transferring cassettes and has a HifiBerry ADC/DAC on its back… (question to self, could the audio card remain with the umc1820 selected without confusing things…?)

Haven’t people been having trouble with 3.5" touchscreens and Pi4’s. . . ?

Course, given the mixer is in a U type presentation, that means a 19" rack mount with 3 or 4 Pi’s and 3.5" touchscreens would make a nice companion. It would need Audio cards so that might rule out a lot of generic 1U products for the Pi which might appear.

Re-invent a fifth of a TX816 :slight_smile:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx816.php

Obviously ridiculous Pi (sic ) in the sky thinking but interesting nevertheless.

well it starts up ok on a Pi3 …

The Pi4 in the White box is just hanging around for warmth…

No Hum!!!

All my audio is going down this route so we will see how it behaves.

5 Likes

Hi @riban,
I had a good time trying out your Audio Mixer feature earlier today. I tested it on my Zynthian with a 7" touch screen and no encoders on a RPI4. It’s very easy to use and I really like the gui and the pop-up menu with the larger widgets and buttons to make it easier to use with a touch screen. I think this mixer will be particularly handy for mixing down the tracks of the step sequencer. I haven’t tried to interface any external hardware yet, but plan to do so in the near future. I’ll keep you posted.

4 Likes

Playing a bit of gentle giant from youtube…

I suspect I need to do a level check on this pipeline.

CPU on the status on a Pi3

We have been trying to convince the Analogue mixer that there were many opportunities for it, and it was actively pursuing a career as a bingo caller’s support equipment, and, we thought we were making good progress, but sadly overnight . . .

no flowers. . .

4 Likes

There’s a good solid clunk on reboot. is this inevitable?

I should have added that to the list of quirks! It seems to have a fair amount of d.c. offset on the output of the UMC1829. I notice a loud pop when I turn it off. My amp has silly PSU caps which keep it up for about a minute after power off so I always here this. I may build some output relays / soft switching.

something like X-10 to turn the amp on and off? at least my yamaha A100 comes up and dies cleanly…