New Raspberry PI 4

Hi @zynthianers!
I published a new post in the forum regarding the new RBPi-4:

http://blog.zynthian.org/index.php/2019/07/05/the-new-raspberry-pi-4/

Your feedback is welcomed! :wink:

Regarding the new Buster SD-image, as you probably know, build script need to be modified to correctly work with Buster. I will start to work on it as soon as possible, but if some of you want to collaborate with the task, i would suggest following the instructions here:

that allow to run the setup script on a fresh Raspbian image.

You should try to run the setup script step by step and try to solve the errors. Most of them will be package-related, so easy to solve, hopefully.

My first RBPi4 will be here tomorrow, so i will be highly motivated very soon. I want to try Pianoteq with the new RBPi4 … ohhhh yessssss!! :wink:

Kind Regards!

2 Likes

Ahhh I forgot to say that tomorrow is the official launch of Debian Buster … happy new Debian!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

A little bad news for us power freaks https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/raspberry-pi-4-uses-incorrect-usb-c-design-wont-work-with-some-chargers/

Yep! Although not a huge issue, it’s annoying.
Anyway, perhaps it’s positive. I hope they will consider to implement voltage negotiation in the faulty USB-C design :wink:

BTW …

We are really close now :wink:

Regards,

3 Likes

So maybe they will sell the faulty revision cheaper. My charger works…

1 Like

I bought the official power brick with the board… :wink:

Almost there:

Some engines are not working yet and there are some other minor problems, but first impressions are really good. Pianoteq work without a glitch with any instrument/preset i’ve tested. No audible XRUNs.
Also some problematic presets, like ZynAddSubFX’s AngelPiano, that always produced XRUNs when playing a little bit hard. Now i can’t reach the limits. Wohaooo!! I’m super happy!! :wink:

Kind Regards,

9 Likes

The build from 07/07 is not enough?
I am camping right now and can’t add the zynthian - yes, I have one with me :slight_smile: - to the internet.
What is the performance index of Pianoteq?
Are you using cooling parts on top of the IC?

OB-Xd is usually an easy one to get XRUNs with, and my favorite.

2 Likes

For pianoteq, did you test in 44khz?
On my Zynthian 3b+, I try the last release and have less xrun, test is made in 22khz

Should the Buster cut run on a Pi 3b+ ?

Is this he problem mentioned above?

You have to wait for a build younger than 07/11.
There is my GitHub issue where you can see the steps needed to get webconf running…but I would just wait.

All I’ve got now is three zynth’s that were working yesterday turned into rebooting idiots.

Large glasses of wine consumed. . . .

I’ve lost :
zynthian-nord (3B+ with audio injector)
zynthian-alm( 3B+ with audio injector)
zynthian-amp ( 2B with Hifiberry Amp)

Another large glass of wine consumed.

A Stretch upgrade to Buster, all of them.

I will try with OB-Xd ASAP :wink:
I tested Pianoteq with the same configuration that Aruk-RC3. Internally it works at 22KHz.

Regards,

1 Like

I’m running a “patched” buster image. None of the images available for download will work. I’ve commited the changes to the scripts, but the building system is failing again … so until it’s fixed, you have to wait a little bit.

BTW, i just tested the MIDI-IN/OUT and it’s working in Buster + RBPi4. So AFAIK, only Aeolus is failing (segmentation fault in Buster!).

Kind Regards,

Of course, i could share my “experimental image” …

Lot’s of fun and games . . . . :flight_departure:

It makes an interesting test grid.
I’ll probably revert to a stretch and get that stable and build from there.

The Audio Injector needs the normal Capture In L-R on in alsamixer and the rekick by adding a space to one of the audio hardware custom configs… (@mheidt:-) )

Mucking around with 3 working encoders and select ( which else would it be…?) chattering. . . .

It’s a good thing but in truth people are going to inevitably go for the Pi4 so that’s the target !

If you are referring to a bug, you need to be more precise. Or did you open an issue already?

I’ll open a bug for this; it’s just become part of the AudioInjector dance for me.

Hi…there’s now three different options for RAM size: 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB. Not really sure if RetroPie is gonna benefit from having that much RAM, but it’s nice to have nonetheless. (Note that the 1GB model will cost 35 dollars, the 2GB model will cost 45 dollars, and the 4GB model will cost 55 dollars.)
CPU is a quad-core Cortex-A72 running at 1.5ghz by default (a 0.3ghz upgrade, and total CPU upgrade, from the Pi 3).
Two of the front USB ports are now USB 3.0, meaning faster transfer speeds.
A USB-C port for power, instead of USB micro-B.
HDMI ports are now micro-HDMI, and there’s two ports!Power supply is now USB-C instead of USB micro-B. (The RasPi Foundation recommends buying their own power supply since there’s not many good USB-C power supplies out there)

pcb assembly

1 Like