Oh No, it is! ( A Zynthian Pantomimme )

The doors swung.
Seemed to stutter a little on it’s hinge, and then slammed shut.

The slump, ran across the ragged crowds, but was quickly replaced by the memory that there were still the one free night of the year. This was the end of the Case Carving day. . .

The day when one, lone case carver was lead into the hallowed towers to sit aside, those that toiled on the genuine cases . Hacked and honed from the ghastly mines that extended deep and far under the land. Overlooked by the looming towers sat squat on the massive granite buttresses, against which their simple shelters clung.
Once a year someone got to go. . .

But this isn’t her story, cos someone was asleep. Again.

Rian prodded the shape. A blinking monocled eye glared up in suspicion and disbelief. . . It belched. Once, loudly, considered, thought better of it, reconsidered and belched again . . .

Rian flushed by the sudden change in atmosphere, prodded again more urgently, “Oy, you’ve got to move…”

“Leave me asleep” muttered the shape. It gave a jolt as a new thought popped into it’s addled brain. " Food…? ". A small belch again and then something else dawned . . . “This isn’t my bed is it …?”,
“No” hissed Rian, you’ve dropped off in the middle of the clearing in the village square where we’re building the case carvers bonfire, so I’d get a move on if I were you …!

A Crow flew over, Cawwed briefly, as it watched the two figures fleeing to the edge of the circle, and caught the first thermal draughts as the flames hungrily licked at the heaped carved cases stacked between Kindling, as once again the zynthian pantomime lurches into view . . . .

With the burning of the Non success cases !!

Oh Yes, it Isn’t . . .

Oh No, it is!!

6 Likes

Looks like someone carried on drinking after Zynth club last night… reminiscent of Iain Banks - very nice! (Though pantomimes in the north sound bleaker and darker than those I grew up with!)

2 Likes

Someone may have spiked the rook soup!

5 Likes

The crow wheeled up around the tower and exchanged some frantic croaks at the resident crew before circling off towards the upper ramparts that stretched between the valley edges.
It felt the rise of the cold northern air, blowing uninterrupted, and rested to take the lift as it blew up the side of the steep grey stone walls.
A young trainee encoder adjuster shot past, flung from the upper wall for some infringement, and landed in an un-ceremonious thump in the large dirty heap of straw at the bottom of the wall ( Yes, I do have some soul …:smiley: ) and after rubbing his head walked off unsteadily towards the fires burning with growing vigour in the village circle, silhouetting the shapes of the villagers as they watched the failed cases burn as homage to the great towers and ramparts stretching high above their heads.

Lord wyleu looked down from his high window, and coughed once . . .

‘Bloody 3D printing. . .’ he muttered and strolled back to the door kicking a rook as he went, Caw said the rook …
“Balls” said wyleu . . .

3 Likes

Zynthian Towers by Chris Lyon
Chapter 1: Oh No, It Is!

3 Likes

The flames rose higher as the night fell and a rhythmic swaying was beginning to captivate the crowd, The solemn air that enveloped the entire scene whilst the last few judging were completed was beginning to be forgotten and amongst the many, many carvers who’s product where starting to swirl in the air around them. There they burnt! Zynthians made from tea trays, zynthians, in takeaway boxes, zynthians in flight cases, zynthians in stuffed animals, zynthians in old 1980’s computer cases that will never see the light of day :crazy_face: All beginning to succumb to the licking flames.
As the carvers drunk first at the heady brew, rolled out through the great wooden door at the start of the day, the atmosphere took on a more pagen tone, the swaying become less controlled, the rhythm became a heavy footfall and took on a beat. Suddenly a trumpet call ( helm, epic … ) echo’ed out across the valley and the first strike of the tower drum relentlessly bounced from the far rock wall. The carvers shivered at the strike and upon the next their heavy feet fell together in an ill disciplined reply, once more the drum struck, The carvers replied more precisely, as the final barrels, were opened for the crowds who fell on them from all directions, The relentless drum beat hypnotised the carvers who were now half marching, half dancing round the fire, getting faster and more frantic. Round and round with the beat of the foot now all in time, whilst those less favoured began to hesitantly start to circle in their own ring around the crazily stomping carvers . . .

Rian took a step or two and began to sway, the hypnotic beat started to control him the rythmic stamping becme all he could think of, when suddenly …

Blooody Ow!! he screamed.

He looked down at his foot while pursing his lips in pain. . . .

" I stood on a bloody encoder …"

2 Likes

Rian woke, a rook was pecking in a rather exploratory, hopeful way at the toe of his boot . . .
It wasn’t what you would call a particular well maintained rook . . .
If fact it was positively disheveled. but it had a confident air, for a rook, and didn’t seem un-settled by its appearance.
Rian, glared at it with one fiercely opening eye, and tried to get his bearings …

It glared back, like Rian owed it money… In fact the look was quite unsettling and it jerked him awake, where upon he sat up, The rook cawed,

Brian sat up fast…

Too fast and bashed his head on the exceedingly low roof.
CaaWWWW said Rian…

Balls said the ‘Rook’ . . .

At this point the echo of the shout came back down the tunnel ( for that’s what he was in’ ) flattened and enlrlarged with a liquid sound …

cccAaaaAAWWWWWWWAaaaaa . . . .

Balls said the Rook again.

Rian glared at . . . .

“Did You say something . . . ?” He asked the rook . . .

“Balls” said the rook quite clearly . . .

Rian frowned …

" You said Balls didn’t you …? " he hissed. . .

" Well, yes I did said" the rook…

Why, Balls… ? , Rian asked…

"Well it was that or hello, and hello tends to attract too many complicated questions … " said the rook . . .

“Mak’s sense …” said Rian…

" So where are we, then …?", Rian peered… " hold on why are you carrying a candle…?"

" Well it would make for a pretty pathetic scene if we couldn’t see what was going on wouldn’t it…?"

" Why don’t you echo… ? " Whispered Rian quietly . . .

"I took classes. . . " said the rook.

" So a talking rook doesn’t phase you in the slightest but if I bring a bit of light and don’t echo … THAT’s what you notice…"

It’s not so much the talking, it’s the quality of the script, that is surprising me…

Well he’s making it up as he goes along, that much is obvious…

Caawww, who would have thought …? Said Ryan,

Balls… , It nothing new . . . said the rook,

Deldor rubbed his eyes, “Have I just read this?” :arrow_up: he said, to the clock with the dead battery on the wall, that he keeps forgetting to change.

The clock obviously didn’t reply as it had a dead battery.

I must go and pour a glass of red wine lest I think I am going mad, he thought.

“Good idea!” said the clock, just after he had replaced the battery.

Times passes but not much changes…

Zynaptic Module Description…

Sorry coudn’t resist. :grin:

(I really do need to get out more… :crazy_face:)

1 Like

Right that a villain sorted out…! :grin:

@wyleu
:grinning:

I’ve got round the slightly higher cost of a new order and postage for the Expansion Kit parts from the shop, by buying the MCP23017 and the ADS1115 little board from a well known selling platform beginning with “E” and from UK sellers too - supposedly!

I decided, as I don’t need CV out at the moment, not to buy the MCP4728 board as I am not ready to jump into the code to try to “slay that dragon” :grinning: just yet…
…maybe a bit later… :nerd_face:

Cheers.

1 Like

He looked,

well at least, he tried to look. . .

It made no difference eyes open, eyes closed . . . .

It was silent . . . .

Silky smooth, untroubled, deathly quiet on a silent sea, stretching to infinity. . . . .

A drip fell explosively, somewhere in the distance.
The sound rattled round, excitedly, thrilled to pass on it’s message, repeated at haste, till it’s strength was spread across far and wide.

It woke other sounds. distant deep noises…
Far distant worlds of their own, Different sounds, far and indistinct but with a strange other resonance. Pitched differently, far lower with deep booming laughs and slow movements. Sharp staccato lives lived fast and fleeting with insect like movement. And yet other worlds that no mental image could enshrine… Chaos ridden mad worlds . . .

He jerked back to consciousness. . .

“It’s bloody dark isn’t it …?” said the rook.

" So you’re still here then…?"
" Well when the candle went out, I didn’t see much sense in going anywhere…, it being well dark, and a tunnel, and all. . ."

Stands to reason . . .

“And any way you are the one with the headtorch . . .”

“Have I…?” Said Rian instinctively reaching for his head,

It felt nastural and simple to turn it on. . .

He Did.

We looked around,

“Where are we. . .?”

" In the ancient soup tunnels stretching throughout this utterly contrived christmas pastiche. . ."
"What do you mean contrived . . ? "
"Well you wont be needing batteries for that headtorch, for the rest of this adventure., so, yeah, pretty contrived. . . . "

“Balls” said Rian,
“Caww” said the rook.

1 Like

:grinning:
I’ll have some of what your’re having…

Seems better than my red wine!
:joy:

2 Likes

OH no I shouldn’t . . .

Probably not, no.