Pi4!

I have the 1G version and I’m happy with it. The only memory related issue I’ve had is not being able to load the Ivy Audio piano soundfont into Linuxsampler.

good to know, thank you !

This had better not just be the “Real Banjo” renamed!

2 Likes

wat

6 Likes

Will it NEVER end …?

“…slightly higher peak currents required by the new memory package…”

“…no single process can use more than 3GB…”

“…early beta of our own 64-bit operating system…”

Looks like this version is of limited use for the current Zynthian firmware. Maybe a future incarnation will use the 64-bit OS.

Wouah, more then on my personal computer !!!
Could be interesting for virtual disk. Store in memory sound sequences that can be ultra fast accessed in a sequencer looper use case.

This might come in handy :

Goes on a '65 Mustang so I guess it should do the job

4 Likes

Yep. Looked into upgrading my zynth with a pi4 and XLR output equipped hifiberry. Getting mixed info about cooling requirements:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2019/raspberry-pi-4-needs-fan-heres-why-and-how-you-can-add-one

Some folk are like - “yeah you wont need a fan for audio stuff”, but my PD synth is currently maxing out all 4 cores, so I’m definitely leaning towards wanting some kind of fan for 3 set gigs in bars where the ambient temperature could be up around 30 degrees. Concerned about reports of interference from the fan, but will cross that bridge when the everything arrives.

I’d like to buy the next zynth, but cooling will definitely be a consideration.

Well, there’s audio stuff… and there’s PD :smiley: I can totally run 6 copies of OB-Xd in parallel on a pi4. It gets xruns before the heat throttle kicks in. Depending on what you’re doing with PD I can totally see you whacking a pi4 like a sledgehammer on an old egg.

Yep. It doesn’t look like a normal cpu fan arrangement will be an option due to the hifiberry hat, so I’m wondering about some kind of flattened heat sink like the one hifiberry sell, and some kind of cross-flow fan arrangement in the side of the zynth. Has anyone looked at anything like that?

I’m sure @jofemodo was looking at some mechanism that thermally coupled the case and the chip. Can’t remember which thread it was (which means it’s probably six posts above this one…)

5 Likes

There is a new beta 64-bit raspberrypi os system:
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_arm64/images/

(Also they changed the name and the urls)

How easy is it to dissemble and re-assemble?

This isn’t the original Pi any more is it ? :slight_smile:

What is it? I don’t have one of these on my van :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It goes with another one of my hobbies, playing with Mylittlepony figures :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

CustomPiOS has a new variant raspios_lite_arm64 to build arm64 bit images, you could try adding 64bit support.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a straightforward task … but yes, we are thinking of moving to 64 bits in the near future:

Thanks!

2 Likes