Problems with edge-image and WLAN

Hi @fernando,

I have noticed a problem when trying to configure WLAN. I can setup anything, but WLAN does not work. After booting and trying several times I noticed that the numbering og the network interfaces was a little bit strange: eth6 and wlan2… I figured out that removing/renaming 70-persistent-net.rules fixed the problem. After that I got eth0 and wlan0 and WLAN worked!

mv /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.inactive

I don’t know if this is a problem with my LAN setup or if this is a problem for everyone…

Regards, Holger

3 Likes

Hi! I’m a new (Happy!) user.
(My Zynth was built for me by Axeman…)

This trick worked also for me… now my WLAN is working. Tnks!

Nice @C0d3man!

I will try your fix ASAP …

Regards!

The fix also works for me…but i am not been able to set a static wlan ip…

OK! I have added this line to the standard zynthian config :wink:

Regards,

Hi! After configured the WLAN my box booting time was slowed down a lot. With some googling I found this solution:

Create file (with subdirs):
/etc/systemd/system/networking.service.d/reduce-timeout.conf

with content:
[Service]
TimeoutStartSec=1

This significantly reduced the boot time and the network works like before.

1 Like

Thanks @norbim!

I will test your solution for integrating it in the next image release :wink:

Regards,

Hi, would like to add an info: for those who don’t see wlan0 at all (like me until few minutes ago after struggling alot) an
rpi-update
should be necessary …for me updating rpi firmware solved the missing wlan when checking ifconfig -a

please check if it works for others…
regards

1 Like

I finally wanted to fix my wlan issue as well.
In my case I had a wlan4.
rpi-update didn’t solve it.
I still had the 70 rule, which I set inactive.
Et voila…
I could see an impact with the reduced timeout as well.

Hi @mheidt!

Can you be a little bit more explicit? I would like to follow your steps … :wink:

Regards

I just tried everything that was mentioned in this thread. Are you sure that the latest image is renaming the 70-rule (Holger)?

Hi @C0d3man!

I’ve noticed that the file “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules” is regenerated on boot time, taking some time. I can’t understand how this can solve any problem. It only consume time on every reboot after deleting it.

Can you verify if it’s regenerated on your system?

Regards,

It happens also on my Zythians :disappointed_relieved:

What I found ist the following:

This file is generated by /lib/udev/write_net_rules and write_net_rules seems to be part of the package udev.

But the “slow boot problem” can be solved with Problems with edge-image and WLAN - #6 by norbim - or:

mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/networking.service.d
cat <<EOF >/etc/systemd/system/networking.service.d/reduce-timeout.conf
[Service]
TimeoutStartSec=1
EOF

Works fine for me.

Regards, Holger