Proposal for changing engine control screen workflow

Pure Touchscreen implementation is considerably improved with a mouse!

1 Like

@Tabula is correct. The touchscreen workflow is inconsistent. If you tap the screen on a list entry too briefly the device changes to an undefined state and does not select the control pages. To exit this weird state requires some more taps but it is not clear exactly what. A more lingering press works but only if not in the state described previously. @jofemodo this should be improved.

I agree that extra steps is suboptimal but I like the way we can now consistently access any page quickly. The previous behaviour was suboptimal and although we kinda got used to it and muscle memory means we now expect it, I prefer the new, more direct access method. If there were a way to reduce the clicks then even better.

1 Like

It’s fixed now. Please, update and test.

Regards,

3 Likes

I just added 2 new CUIAs:

• NEXT
  • PREV

that can be linked to custom switch actions from the webconf’s wiring layout menu.

I have tried assigning this new actions to the S3 & S4 buttons on my V4 and it works like a charm.
This doesn’t solve the problem for people not having custom switches in their zynthians, but we have to move forward and having fast access to layer options is really needed, so we must loose something for winning something better.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

I’m glad my humble changes got the ball moving to get a revision, actually this CUIAs make my proposal almost obsolete, and I really like all the changes you made to how the navigation works, though I’m yet to test them.

This also sprouts an idea on my mind but maybe this needs to be though through before going deeper.

This could be mitigated if Press&hold + turn + release could be an option, it removes some clicks and makes it slightly more immediate, but I’m not sure if it’s a proper solution

Oh, btw, I’ve not been able to use the CUIAs with the buttons on the screen. I’m not sure what the issue is, other button assignments work just fine

I just tested and it works like a charm for me. Please, check the configuration again, and verify everything is updated to the last and all repositories in “staging-2109”.

Regards,

@jofemodo I think we should avoid the need to enter select mode if there are few screens to navigate. It is weird to have to press SELECT then rotate SELECT then press SELECT just to toggle between two pages. On the other hand, such a change presents an inconsistent UI. I like to be able to rapidly review parameters (without necessarily changing them) by moving between pages in select mode.

An example of where there are two pages of controls is the Audio Levels screen. It seemed counter-intuitive to toggle mode to select the other page.

Also, select mode should not be available when there is only one page of controls, e.g. Pianoteq (non-LV2) only has a single page of controls but you can still toggle display mode which makes no sense!

2 Likes

I just “improved” the workflow, so:

• when number of controller screens on the list <=3 , short-select will act as “next”
  • when number of controller screens on the list >3 , short-select will act as “enter select mode”

I’m not sure of this behaviour because it’s near to inconsistent and quite arbitrary, but perhaps it’s convenient. So, let’s try it!! :wink:

Regards,

1 Like