Pwm fan on zynthian

Ah !!
A good old’men recommandation

Yep! Any BC108 or BC547 will do and 1N4001 for the reverse bias protection. 1N4148 doesn’t have the power rating to sick the high ENF induced current.

1 Like

By chance, I also came across a variant with a MOSFET that should be able to drive also 12V fans.

Apparently, the software PWM control of a fan is as annoying as the backlight. I found another article explaining the troubles (more noise, of course!). The article is rather verbose and also explains in detail how everything works (practical for beginners & forever-beginners! :)) and the difference between using a BJT and MOSFET transistor (and why the latter might be preferred).

2 Likes

Thks, interesting lecture, they are there a couple of good posts :+1:

Hm. Looks like my cheapy creepy little fan is not really PWM friendly. It does not turn unless I set 100% duty cycle. If I set the frequency up to 1MHz, I can go some way down from 100%, but it makes an annoying high frequency sound/noise.

Or may it be a problem of the wiring? I used a BS170 mosfet. When connected directly to constant 3.3V instead of 5V, it turns well and more slowly.