Rookie dev needs guidance

Hey all! I would like to start contributing. My self-assessment is that I probably can, but I need some help getting up to speed on some stuff, cause I’ve never grokked a project this big, though I DO know Python pretty well - one of the things I did in my last job was code addons for Blender using their Python API. Nothing too fancy, just automating some tedious tasks for 3D artists.

I’m not completely ignorant, basically, and probably I’m a very competent piece of raw meat for some mentor out there who needs a lackey to do their tedious work for a while, once they explain the tedious work to me and then answer some dumb questions. I would be extremely happy to do boring and undesirable code work in exchange for keeping me on the right track to get on top of software dev in general; the basics I’m mostly on top of, I understand all the data types and why we count from 0, but how do I walk up to a giant project and figure out how it all fits together?

But more to the topic at hand, if anyone has some Jr-friendly stuff they’re working on that relates to Zynthian, or can recommend some likely-simpler bugs with some useful clues for me to try my hand at, that would be great. Alternately, has anyone written any documentation of the overall project code, how one finds their way around, etc?

I currently do Sysadmin type work for the most part, though I would love to make the jump over to dev, but I can’t seem to figure out how to make the leap from Beginner to Intermediate.

Hi @jtode ,

For sure Zynthian’s repositories are good starting points:

The Zynthian User Interface is 71% of Python code

The web configuration tool is 58% Python code

Here are mostly shell scripts, configurations files and a bit of Python code. All the the base system customization to get everything up is here (eg, specific systemd scripts)

The testing branch is in an intense activity.

This is the script executed at Zynthian UI startup:

All the issues are centralized here:

And finally here on the forum you will find some super helpfull persons.

2 Likes

And a miserable old wyleu…

If you’re still looking for a simple project to get started on, this recent suggestion has some potential:

It would probably be a small perhaps even ‘trivial’ change. First up would be adding it as an ‘issue’ on:
GitHub - zynthian/zynthian-ui: User Interface for Zynthian

1 Like

I think I’ve got an actual bug located in the RC - I just posted a new thread over there. It might just be me not knowing which box to check though lol

Anyways if I get a few clues maybe, I’ve got all day to try to fix this myself. :>