RPi5 specs and review

Although the RP1 has several I2C channels I am not sure whether they will be exposed on the RPi which will probably maintains 40-pin header compatibility.

I would like to be able to offer routing to different outputs. I think we used to do this (but I could be confused) and that seems like a useful feature. It may then offer the ability to construct mix groups but as @jofemodo points out, each mix bus requires processing. We can look at what’s possible in the future.

2 Likes

Since the Pi4 & 5 both have four hardware serial ports, would it be possible to make Zynthian a MIDI merger/router for multiple devices?

Hi @jofemodo, can you roughly estimate a time when the aluminum cooling block for the PI5 in combination with Zynthian V5 would be available in your Shop?
Or is this a larger HW change?

1 Like

@ToFF I am also thinking of connecting my Focusrite 18i8gen1 in a similar manner.

(I also had a umc404hd a while ago, and the input signal was reflected to other inputs, so I could not separate the inputs completely. I sent it back for repair, but it was the same afterwards. Probably a HW design issue. I hope you have more luck with it.)

This discussion may suggest yes

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and the heads up. I haven’t noticed it yet. On the other hand, I used it as an output device. Only this week I turned it into something like a Zynthian monitor, when I have an XO-mini synth with an EWI controller connected to the input and on 3/4 input channels the audio output from a PC. It’s kind of a table set for practice. I’ll try recording something via Zynthian and see.

In a crazy shopping moment I’ve got a Pi5 now. My first try was interrupted during the ordering process that said: sold out! Seems like people are like crazy for that.

Would it be possible to electrically connect the Zynthian V5 HW with this Pi5? What obstacles except the SW would appear?

@marco we have been discussing this a bit in the forum. There are several challenged to be resolved and we have started to work on that but at the moment RPi5 is not supported with Zynthian. Watch out for updates and search the forum for previous discussion and info.

1 Like

Hi @marco!

We are working in adapting the V5 design to the new RPi5, but we just got one unit and we still have a long way. Redesigning, prototyping and producing. It would take a few months yet. Stay tuned!

FYI, when it’s ready, we plan to offer an affordable “upgrade kit” for those who already have a V5. It would include these parts:

• Bottom part of the alucase (optional, just for those who prefer to pay more before taking a saw)
  • Main board (optional, same reasons and add the solder iron :wink:
  • Thermal block RPI5 => Mandatory!
  • Display flat cable => Mandatory!
  • RPi5 (optional)

As you can see, the only 2 parts that have to be totally replaced are Thermal Block and Display flat cable.
The bottom part of the alucase can be “fixed” with a saw. Of course, the result will depend of the hands of everyone.
The main board must be cutted too. The cut will include the 2 data lines of the USB-typeB connector, but they can be easily rewired with solder iron and wire. Not a difficult task, but annoying.
And as i’ve explained above, for those who don’t want to take the saw, we would offer these parts at a price as low as possible. We don’t want to make business with the upgrades. We just want happy V5 owners!

The best,

5 Likes

Hi @jofemodo,

great to hear you will eventually make it possible with the Pi5!

It would take a few months yet. Stay tuned!

I would love to set a pre-order. :wink:

The mandatory changes in the display cable and thermal block are clear for me. The switch on/off part is I guess done through your V5 kit-PCB. Maybe the on/off switch also work with a plastic switch button extension in the V5 kit?

The cut will include the 2 data lines of the USB-typeB connector, but they can be easily rewired with solder iron and wire.

No problem.

Do you think it is feasible to put an M.2 HAT board somewhere inside the V5 case? Just read the article at the page tom’s HARDWARE, and thought this would be a great improvement compared to the SDCard. It is also tested by Jeff Geerling in his video. So finally unlimited space to create Chart Hits for the next 100 years!!!

Thanks a lot, and Best Regards.

2 Likes

What would i need to upgrade the V4 Kit to a Raspi 5. Will this be possible as well?

Not a simple task. You will have heat dissipation issues for sure unless you manage to remove the heat from the Pi5, but this will be quite difficult because the DAC is sitting on top. I doubt the slim zynductor is enough but it could by tried. Also, you would need to take the saw :slight_smile:

Regards

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the info. I think the V4 is running great with the
Pi4 :wink:

1 Like

Here is an article from Tom’s Hardware on two different cases for the RPi5 from the same company, EDATEC, with two different approaches to passive cooling, including cooling performance both stock and slightly (+400MHz) overclocked with graphs. It also provides some info-comments on WiFi performance with the case-heat sink in place.

2 Likes

Wonderful to hear!

This brought me much closer to a purchase!

I love the support in this community!

Don’t be impressed, it’s this or litter picking on the streets…

2 Likes

I’m here for it. Either would be admirable and appreciated. :wink:

Lol never change

I have decided, I have a small stash of money from xmas that is put away for either a digital mixer or a keyboard amp, but I’m pulling out enough to order a Pi5 off Amazon so I’m ready to get on the new OS right away. Has anyone got a personal experience of a good case/fan combo that works with a Hifiberry card?

1 Like

The original Pi5 fan / cooler combo works with HifiBerry, if you put a riser socket between original 40pin socket and the card. Of course, the spacers have to be longer too. Technically it works perfect, it´s only a mechanical issue.