Something wrong with v1 kit and new images?

Hi,
after a long time i decided to give a v1 kit zynthian last stable image present on os.zynthian.org.
Then updated and … everything messed up.
It gives me always error screen. Changed v1 kit on webconf, but nothing.
then recompiled a 2021 -03-15 image and had same error status.
last, but not least, setting up wifi returns an error:
Command '/zynthian/zynthian-sys/sbin/set_wifi.sh on' returned non-zero exit status 255.

Anyway, burning last stable image then upgrading or directly using this 3-15 image,
This is the output on terminal and error splash screen:

X.Org X Server 1.20.4
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 5.4.0-54-generic armv8l Raspbian
Current Operating System: Linux zynthian 4.19.118-v7+ #1311 SMP Mon Apr 27 14:21:24 BST 2020 armv7l
Kernel command line: coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000  dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
Build Date: 15 January 2021  02:03:57PM
xorg-server 2:1.20.4-1+rpt2+deb10u3 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.36.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Mar 17 01:21:53 2021
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
INFO:zynthian_gui_config.<module>: ZYNTHIAN-UI CONFIG ...
INFO:zynthian_gui_config.<module>: Wiring Layout PROTOTYPE-4
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.<module>: ZYNCODER A: [26, 25, 0, 4]
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.<module>: ZYNCODER B: [21, 27, 7, 3]
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.<module>: SWITCHES layout: [107, 23, 106, 2]
DEBUG:zynthian_config.get_disabled_midi_in_ports: DISABLED_MIDI_IN = ['']
DEBUG:zynthian_config.get_enabled_midi_out_ports: ENABLED_MIDI_OUT = ['ttymidi:MIDI_out']
DEBUG:zynthian_config.get_enabled_midi_fb_ports: ENABLED_MIDI_FB = ['']
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.set_midi_config: MMC Bank Change CCNum: 0
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.set_midi_config: MMC Bank Change UP: None
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.set_midi_config: MMC Bank Change DOWN: None
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.set_midi_config: MMC Program Change UP: None
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_config.set_midi_config: MMC Program Change DOWN: None
Can't initialise zynseq library: /home/pi/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/zynseq/build/libzynseq.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Can't initialise zynsmf library: /home/pi/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/zynsmf/build/libzynsmf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
INFO:zynthian_gui.<module>: STARTING ZYNTHIAN-UI ...
INFO:zynthian_gui_keybinding.load: Loading key binding from keybinding.yaml
DEBUG:zynthian_gui_keybinding.load: Loading default keyboard bindings.
Can't init jackpeak library: /home/pi/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/jackpeak/build/libjackpeak.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ERROR:zynthian_gui.__init__: ERROR initializing jackpeak: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setDecay'
Can't init zyncoder library: /home/pi/zyncoder/build/libzyncoder.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
INFO:zynthian_gui.zynswitches_midi_setup: MIDI SWITCHES SETUP...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./zynthian_gui.py", line 1738, in <module>
    zynthian_gui_config.zyngui=zyngui=zynthian_gui()
  File "./zynthian_gui.py", line 222, in __init__
    self.libseq = CDLL("/zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/zynseq/build/libzynseq.so")
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 356, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: /zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/zynseq/build/libzynseq.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/zynthian/config/img/fb_zynthian_error_ip.png is 320x240 PNG image, color type RGB_ALPHA, 8 bit, file gamma 0.4546
 PNG file: /zynthian/config/img/fb_zynthian_error_ip.png - Application must supply a known background gamma
  Zooming image by 100%...done
  Merging...done
didn't find evidence of prior run.

don’t know what to do…

Hi @ivanmonterosso !

The latest stable image should work. I’ve tested with some v1 and older prototypes and it works, so please, try again:

https://os.zynthian.org/2020-09-05-zynthianos-buster-lite-armhf-1.0.0-RC3.zip

Regards,

hi @jofemodo, actually this worked until upgrading.
So in other words i can’t upgrade anymore? :roll_eyes:

How do you do the upgrade? Please, don’t use “apt-get upgrade”. This will break the image on any zynthian kit, for sure.

Use the update option from the admin menu or from the webconf. Or type “update_zynthian.sh” from the shell. But NEVER run “apt-get upgrade”.

Regards

of course. i always mean updating from zynthian or webconf. but with fresh 2021-3-15 image or a previous stable from 2020 everything ends with an error screen and that output.

now wil try starting from this rc3 and i will let you know

This RC3 is the right one. The 2021-03-15 SD image is not supported and updates are not tested on it, so it’s normal you can’t update it.

Yes,Didn’t try to upgrade from that release, but didn’t work at all :rofl:.
I can confirm 2020-09-05 rc3 holds updates quite fine. But it’s not the release present inside “last-stable” zip, who actually didn’t get updates well.
Now I can discover all new features :grin:… And trying to get familiar with zynseq

Perhaps there is a bad link somewhere. Could you tell me what link did you use for downloading? I would like to fix it …

Enjoy the new features! There is a good bunch of them!! … jejeje!

Thanks

1 Like

oh, link is actually working so the internal image. but once calling update (the right way) messes up with that message.

https://os.zynthian.org/zynthianos-last-stable.zip

so could be simply not the right image.

Looks like jackpeak build fails when calling update_zynthian.sh

/zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/jackpeak/build /zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/jackpeak /zynthian/zynthian-ui
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynlibs/jackpeak/build
[ 33%] Linking C shared library libjackpeak.so
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/jackpeak.dir/jackpeak.c.o: relocation R_ARM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/jackpeak.dir/jackpeak.c.o(.text+0x30): unresolvable R_ARM_CALL relocation against symbol `jack_client_open'
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/jackpeak.dir/build.make:84: libjackpeak.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:76: CMakeFiles/jackpeak.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

Hi @antono !

What SD image are you using? Are you using the “stable” branch or changed to “testing”?
Can you specify “exactly” the steps you follow from burning the SD image to updating your zynthian?

Thanks,

Hi @jofemodo i tried with nightly first time but now swithced to stable and all works as expected.

2 Likes

I think we should discourage use of nightlies. They should now only really be used to validate the build continues to work and then maybe during lead up to a new release for testing

I moved the nightly builds to a separated directory. In the root there are the stable images only and the header advices to only use stable images. I think this should be enough.

Regards,

2 Likes