Suggestion about engine's preset choice

Hi @Zynthianers!

I’ve fixed and improved the preload feature. This is the changelog:

• Use “bold back” event for restoring the selected preset, maintaining the original functionality (go to bank list) for the “short back” event.
  • Fix restoring to selected preset when preloading from different banks.
  • Fix operation: when no preset is selected in the layer, preload works, but “bold back” goes to “bank list” instead of “control” (no restoring of selected prset, as there is no selected preset :wink:
  • Add a config flag for enabling/disabling the “note-on preload” feature.

(@mheidt , could you add the new flag to the webconf tool? Its name is “ZYNTHIAN_PRESET_PRELOAD_NOTEON” and can be 1/0. I suggest adding it to the “MIDI config” section. Thanks!)

Enjoy!

1 Like

maybe changing color of highlighed items (blue instead of red )…? but i’m afraid in giving some other different functions to zyncoders… could become too much functions to remember for each page…expecially if there is no label on what kind of function on UI

I think that configuring via “webconf tool” should be enough by now. Let’s play with the feature some time and will comeback again when we feel the need :wink:

ah ok, sure… i think could remain customizable via webconf forever :smiley: , depends on player’s habits…

Maybe, something like this:

preset_screen_

1 Like

ah, ok… maybe leaving it off by default…i mean: the command is on overall page, not per preset…right?

Yes, it should be global. Also, I think that the default value could be set via webconf :wink:

I like your idea, @Schpion … but it’s a little bit more complex than what it seems to be. Perhaps in the next iteration. There are tasks with higher priority :wink:

Thanks!

Hi @zynthianers!

@mheidt has added a new flag to the webconf tool to enable/disable the preload feature. Also, i’ve merged the changes into the master, including some extra bugfix.

You should “update software” from the admin menu :wink:

Regards!

1 Like

Great Fernando.

But a couple of things I saw.
a) shouldn’t we say in the webconf, if a save is restarting the zynthian? Didn’t go to all handlers. But MIDI triggers a reboot.
b) I have a master keyboard, that has a ± one octave button. Normally it was one octave. But now it shifts 2 octaves.

There are a few handlers that trigger a reboot (display, audio) or restart the UI (wiring, style, MIDI). Probably it would be nice to warn about the Zynthian “reboot” or “UI restart” :wink:

I doesn’t changed anything that could affect in such a way. BTW, MIDI filter is not implemented yet.
Anyway, do you know if this scale button trigger some MIDI message that could reach to Zynthian?

Regards,

Hi… would give a Little tip: by now, with note On feature, each engine’s preset list should highlight last memory from snapshot… because while playing, if going back to list, noteOn activates the first sound highlighted, which is not the one still Active in Memory.
Let me know if it’s possibile
Regards

Have you tried “bold back”?

actually bold back skips preset list and goes on bank selection. And it’s right behaviour.
Example: zynaddsubfx: to bank category (arpeggio, companion etc…), fluidsynth: to FluidR3 GM-FluidR3 GS
Short back is the one going back to list from control page.
the selection i find is not the last of that channel, but the last of that engine… even done on another channel with same engine.
Example… on two or more Fluidsynth channels, list does not starts from actual channel’s sound. but from last monitored one, from any same engine’s instance.
I made a video for better (more or less…) understanding.

actually it seems there’s another issue… if monitoring another sound on a channel,
but not confirming it with push-select, sound remains, and if going back from control page to layer list, gives name of stored preset, but plays the monitored (and not stored) one. Same thing if entering control page from layer list. Name display and sound played are different.
Then i can only reload snapshot…or manually change and reselect correct sound.

I can confirm and understand what you mean.

@jofemodo

I have the Arpeggio set und were browsing in guitars. Now I middle press to get back to Arpeggio7:

INFO:root:Restore Preset: Arpeggio7 (6)
DEBUG:root:SET CONTROLLER SCREEN main
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘volume’: 96 (0 -> 127), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘pan’: 64 (0 -> 127), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘cutoff’: 64 (0 -> 127), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘resonance’: 64 (0 -> 127), None, None
MIDI evt: 144, 48, 88
MIDI evt: 144, 48, 0
INFO:root:Short Switch 1
DEBUG:root:BACK TO SCREEN => preset

I pressed a normal back and expect to be in the arpeggio’s bank, not guitars:

INFO:root:Getting Preset List for Guitar
DEBUG:root:PRESET LIST =>
[(’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0001-Dist Guitar 1.xiz’, [11, 0, 0], ‘Dist Guitar 1’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0002-Dist Guitar 2.xiz’, [11, 0, 1], ‘Dist Guitar 2’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0003-Dist Guitar 3.xiz’, [11, 0, 2], ‘Dist Guitar 3’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0004-Dist Guitar 4.xiz’, [11, 0, 3], ‘Dist Guitar 4’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0005-Dist Guitar 5.xiz’, [11, 0, 4], ‘Dist Guitar 5’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0033-Trash Guitar 1.xiz’, [11, 0, 32], ‘Trash Guitar 1’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0034-Trash Guitar 2.xiz’, [11, 0, 33], ‘Trash Guitar 2’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0035-Short.xiz’, [11, 0, 34], ‘Short’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0065-Clean Guitar1.xiz’, [11, 0, 64], ‘Clean Guitar1’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0066-Electric Guitar.xiz’, [11, 0, 65], ‘Electric Guitar’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar/0097-Space Guitar.xiz’, [11, 0, 96], ‘Space Guitar’)]
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Preset’: 10 (0 -> 11), None, None
MIDI evt: 144, 48, 66
INFO:root:Preset Preloaded: Space Guitar (10)

Besides that I had the situation (unfortunately not quite reproducible) that I middle-back to arpeggio but I still hear the monitored sound.

INFO:root:Preset Preloaded: Wipe Whistle (21)
MIDI evt: 144, 52, 71
MIDI evt: 144, 52, 0
MIDI evt: 144, 55, 83
MIDI evt: 144, 55, 0
MIDI evt: 144, 55, 81
INFO:root:Bold Switch 1
INFO:root:Restore Preset: Arpeggio7 (6)
MIDI evt: 144, 55, 0
INFO:root:Preset Preloaded: Wipe Whistle (21)
MIDI evt: 144, 48, 75

1 Like

i’m always afraid to give too much confused details in a not always clear and fluid english :frowning:

OK! I think it’s fixed now. Update and confirm if it’s solved, please.

1 Like

yes, solved, confirmed :slight_smile: