The world's smallest pipe organ and rpi-based S³-6R

A few years old but still fun: check out the world’s smallest pipe organ:

Also a lot of other cool custom synthesizers, for example their S³-6R:
I would love to have the Zynthian in such form-factor with keyboard/battery integrated:

1 Like

So would I! I dream of such a Zynthian!

Maybe just stick a Teensy-based USB-MIDI keyboard in the same box as your Zynthian. That might work…

Hello…
Second hand Arturia Player (25keys, 1 small joystick, 4 encoders) and Swissonic Easykey 25 (2 wheels, 1 volume knob) can be found for a very small price (20-30€$£)…
Arturia Factory 32 is more expensive but it’s one of the rare 32 key boards on Earth (unless you like microscopic keys) and it comes with wheels, 10 encoders and 4 faders…
One of their burdens is that their midi channel, as well as other parameters, can only be modified by a computer through USB…
A 2nd hand Akai is probably affordable… a Korg nano… an Arturia Keylab 25 (much more interesting)…
They can be internally connected to the MIDI in of the Zynthian, or to one of the USB sockets… ( and then you must find a way to lead your 3 other sockets to the back of your case)… There migh be another possible way ?
I’m not sure it’s really hard to make a combo using such devices…
But one has to make the box holding all these together…
Have a nice day…
Thierry

@opus.quatre Ok, that’s not exactly what I meant by"same box". I meant something more like what @Baggypants shared recently:

This guy stuck a Pi Zero and a battery pack in the same enclosure that housed the Korg Nanokey circuitry. That’s the kind of Zynthian I dream of building.

A few people have done that in the success cases thread.

exactly, I am considering a novation launchkey mini, perhaps giving up some pads for the screen. It has velocity sensitive keys (a must for me), rotational buttons, midi control etc.

I’ll check the success cases thread, thanks Baggypants! (any specific links?)

3 Likes

Oh boy! This is going to be interesting…
Would you mind keeping us @zynthianers up to date on your progress? You could make a new topic for it, and I think we would all appreciate it!

The screen, encoders and raspberry pi is going to fit inside the case with some effort, but the battery is an issue. Here is a quick work-in-progress picture, the screen fits in the 3x2 rows buttons.

4 Likes

You have cut out the PCB too ?

that is not needed, it is modular with cables and screws. Midi still works, except for the pads.

Ok I see… And I guess the knobs are a different PCB… but as you replaced 4 of them with Zynthian’s encoders, do the others work anyway ?

@jofemodo,
Is it possible to define 4 Master Encoder CC like MASTER_LAYER_CC and MASTER_SELECT_CC, MASTER_BACK_CC and MASTER_SNAPSHOT_CC.
It won’t give the 100% translation to the existing encoders as the select action is missing.
But we are getting quite close.
They are like a dynamic priority cc.

2 Likes

It seems quite reasonable and interesting. Let me think about it … :wink:

1 Like

It would be great to be able to assign 4 midi knobs to replace the master rotational encoders, and another 4 midi cc for the select action for each. That way, we can just use midi instead of the encoders. On my zynthian, the encoder buttons don’t reliably work, have to press hard to select etc.

1 Like

I vote yes…

A first prototype wood top part of the enclosure using CNC.

5 Likes

Nice one…
I suppose that the 2 arrowed buttons are for octave transpose… and the rownof small buttons at the top of the picture ?

Yes, octave buttons, the top row are midi buttons, left over from the launchkey, see image above. They only show 2mm above the wood (which is 3mm thick), so can’t easily afd caps on those, may replace/resolder those encoders.

Or stops in the organ world . …?

and now we come to my favourite job in the world . . . .

:face_with_monocle:

what does that emoji mean?