Upload sfz Using ssh scp Help

Hi All! First post!

I am testing a Zynthian install on a RPI4 with an external 7 inch touch screen. The build is the latest as of this week. If I get favorable results I will buy a self-contained kit.

Regarding FluidSynth: I loaded a custom sound font with12 presets using Zynthian.local. FluidSynth plays the sound font;. Zynthian receives program changes but does not send controllers like filter cutoff to FluidSynth.

Regarding LinuxSampler: I am having trouble uploading my custom Piano.sfz.zip and EP.sfz.zip files to Zynthian-my-data. They were captured using Chicken Systems Translator into Kontakt nki format ,then converted to sfz format using Translator, and zipped using Mac Finder.

1: In the .zip file, does the .sfz file have to be inside our outside the folder containing the .wav files?

When using Zynthian.local, if I try to upload the .zip file with the sfz files, upload shows 100% but the menu screen locks up with a spinning wheel.

2: Could someone please post example Mac Terminal commands to

login to the pi (ssh root@Zynthian.local)
scp a Piano.sfz.zip file (in folder desktop/Sam/)
to the /Zynthian/Zynthian-my-data/soundfonts/sfz/Sam/ folder?

scp -E ~/Desktop/Sams/Piano.sfz.zip root@Zynthian.local:/Zynthian/Zynthian-my-data/soundfonts/sfz/Sam/Piano.sfz.zip

Sorry, my command line intellect is slow lol!

Thank you for help! Sam in NJ USA

1 Like

In my experience I upload sf2 uncompressed and not in a subfolder. The Sf2 must be on the sfz folder and don’t create any subfolder.

Fluidsynth (not just in Zynthian) does not respond to filter cutoff or resonance. That is why I don’t use it.

Thank you. I got it. This helps to explain the sfz/gig upload process using Mac terminal. Connect your zynthian to you network using a cat5 cable. Test your connection in you browser by typing

zynthian.local
//password raspberry

1: The sfz file and the wave files are contained in the same folder. GIG files, although contained, have to be in a folder on the zynthian so they are listed to select.

This is a good time to edit your sfz files. I noticed Linuxsampler responds to velocity and release times at the group level, so edit and organize your file accordingly.

2: scp File transfer on the Mac works for me using two terminal sessions.

The first one points to the Zynthian. you can check if files were copied to the right locations.

ssh root@zynthian.local
//password raspberry

cd …
//cd space dot dot moves you up one directory level
//after login this moves you to the top directory level

cd zynthian/zynthian-my-data/soundfonts/sfz
//navigate to user sfz folder

mkdir Piano
//make new directories Piano for ease

cd … //up
cd … //up again
cd gig
mkdir Ep
//gig files have to be in a folder so they can be selected

ls or dir
//lists directory contents

The second terminal session points to the sfz folders on my Mac.

cd desktop
cd sfz-user /Piano
// A folder on my desktop named sfz-user with un-zipped sfzs and wavs in folders Piano

scp . root@zynthian.local:/zynthian/zynthian-my-data/soundfonts/sfz/Piano/
//password raspberry
//This copies the contents of the Mac Piano folder to the zynthian user Piano folder

cd … //up
cd Ep
//the folder with the Ep.gig file

scp . root@zynthian.local:/zynthian/zynthian-my-data/soundfonts/gig/Ep/
//this copies the Ep.gig file to the proper location

If you make a mistake you can use the zynthian terminal window to move (mv -v) remove (rm *) and remove files or directories (rmdir) .

Hope this helps. I will post my comparisons of Fluidsynth, LinuxSampler and iPhone bs16i separately.

Thank you!
Sam in NJ USA

1 Like

Sorry,
cd …
should be

cd …

Love spell check. Sam

c d space dot dot not cd …