VCV Rack as a Synth Engine

I’ll share a longer “minimal” demo patch, which is working really well:

3 LFO’s, Quantiser, Plaits playing a Granular Formant Oscillator and some delay…

Enjoy it in all its simplicity:

7 Likes

OFF-TOPIC This second track sounds amazing, BTW! Thanks for the demo!

2 Likes

Hi @twelve,

I’m glad that this has worked for you, it’s exciting to see someone else get value from the work (although as pointed out the sonaremin project did most of the heavy lifting). When I have some time I’ll get your patches merged into my branch and test them out. The performance improvements will be welcome. If you are interested, feel free to open a PR against my branch and I’ll review and merge in.

Also @twelve, as a side note

The Skrylar Jack modules are very performant on the Raspberry Pi and provide named Jack ports, they just need to be connected to the system when the module is added by VCV Rack.

If you use these over the Audio-8 module you should see a substantial performance improvement.

1 Like

Indeed, the performance is much better with the Skylar Jack audio interface module!

Would it be possible to expose the modules’ parameters to the Zynthian control screen (parameters modifiable through the encoders and potentially midi learn able?).

From a Zynthian perspective, A vcv patch is in a way a Midi Synth, a Generator or a Audio FX or even a Midi FX, much like a Puredata top layer. In terms of Audio or Midi routing some combinations could be interesting (if anything could co-exist with vcv on the Zynthian that is, but I think it could for small patches, that expose some very interesting vcv modules, as the VCV library contains a whole plethora of oscillators or generative modules or filters allowing to build a DIY synth, Audio processing effect, sequencers, LFO’s, Randomisers, etc… )

Could we maybe make a Zynthian-UI git feature branch out of this? It would certainly facilitate adoption for testing and feedback.

On a RP4 it’s certainly useable with some caveats and allows the Zynthian to explore uncharted territory!

2 Likes