What is the mixer layer for and is it supposed to function like this?

I have been using my almost finished Zynthian for a while and i works great.
But I don´t get what the new mixer layer is supposed to do and why Zynthian switches to the mixer layer when I change to another sub snapshot with program change. This only happens when in single channel mode.
Is this by design or is it a bug? And why would I ever want to go to the mixer layer, all I can do is change volume and some other parameters that I rather change from the selected instrument.

Here is a video of how it works if I send program change in SetBfree.

Indeed, the mixer just shows whichever controls were last selected for an engine. I am guessing that if there are no ALSA controls for the soundcard it does not populate the mixer but does not clear previous controls.

I guess it’s a bug…mixer is layer 0 and in pre mixer times 0 was the first real layer

I have the HiFiBerry DAC+ light sound card.

“The DAC+ Light is based on an ESS Sabre chip set that does not have ALSA volume control.”

Maybe that is why it does not show any relevant controls?

Please show us a screenshot of the webconf in the audio panel after you pressed + at the controller input field.

But I see…what a cheap €&#@…you get more for the money with an audioinjector zero

Yes, it looks like a bug in the subsnapshot change code. I will solve it ASAP:

Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like this.

mixerControls

Nodding with my head…that they didn’t have the money for a little Alsa volume… It’s Hifiberry and not a copy of something…

Yes it’s Hifiberry.

I know, I saw your quote on the web page…I am ranting

We could disable/hide the Mixer layer when no Mixer Controls are selected. This would solve your problem without adding an extra checkbox.

Regards,

4 Likes

OK! The problem with Mixer layer and ZS3 subsnapshot program change is solved.
Please, update and test.

Regards,

1 Like

are the layers meant by “subsnapshot”? After updating for me it still includes the mixer when cycling through the layers pressing the layer button

If I understood correctly, the layer is only hidden when it would be empty. And the subsnapshot bug shows when you program one at layer 1.

No. This is not a bug, although we can discuss if it should be changed :wink:
What i fixed is the problem when using Program Change & SubSnapshots (ZS3).

Regards,

ah ok, well for the sake of live use I personally would vote for it not to be included in the cycle. Would be more practical and quick

2 Likes

OK! You convinced to me :wink:
Update and test, please.

Regards,

1 Like

Yes it works now. It changes to the layer of the sub snapshot. And it also works between layer when in single channel mode so I can change to a different layer with program change, that is very nice. :+1:

1 Like

perfect!