Zynthian Snapshot Contest Extended: 2 x V5 unit for the 2 winners!

Thanks for your words @jofemodo ! I am glad that my visions have some interest. :slightly_smiling_face::ringer_planet:

1 Like

It’s still too early to vote… but I absolutely vote for:

ArchMichael (@ejdzi)

1 Like

I want to submit a small composition for the zynthian contest. I allways like to mix folk music with electronic. This is a song inspired in a Quechua/Inca Dance called Huayno.

Title: Carnavaleando con Chispeza
Description: A little composition inspired in the rythm of Huayno but made with zynthian.
Snapshot:
012-Carnavaleando con Chispeza.zss (38.3 KB)
Midi File:
Carnavaleando con Chispeza.midi (5.7 KB)
Personal Preset for ZynAddSubFX:
0030-PFMIDS-PAD.xiz (1.8 KB)

Audio Track:

The secuence was made using mostly Seq64:

But there is a little Piano Intro made with Musescore, you can check the score here;
https://musescore.com/user/30642890/scores/11277334

Finally, a little screen capture of zynthian itself:
Captura desde 2023-06-25 22-28-35

I hope you enjoy this music.

4 Likes

Que lindo tema :ok_hand:
Sería fantástico si lo pudieras portar al Zynseq. La categoría Z está desierta de momento.así que incrementarías tus posibilidades de ganar un V5.

In Enlgish:
Nice composition!
It would be fantastic if you could translate the Seq64 composition to Zynseq. The Z category is empty by now, so your chances to win a V5 would increase a lot.

The best!

3 Likes

A hint: You can import .mid files as sequences. A set of sequences are created, one per MIDI channel, each with the required quantity of patterns. It uses some of the current parameters to make decisions like bar length.

You may need to manipulate things a bit afterwards to qualify for a valid / sensible zynseq sequence.

2 Likes

I have to be honest, I’m not proud of what I’m doing. This is very Lazy. I had to admit that I made this composition in Musescore, I exported to MIDI, I tweaked the channel of every track and imported in Zythian sequencer.

Title: Pequeño Landó
Description: A little composition in a folk afro-peruvian rythm called landó.
Snapshot:
013-Pequeno Lando.zss (44.5 KB)
Audio Track:

Screen Captures:
Main Screen:
Captura desde 2023-06-28 00-28-52
Zynseq:
Captura desde 2023-06-28 00-29-35
Remmina (VNC Connection):

Here is the full score in Musescore:
https://musescore.com/user/30642890/scores/11297380

I hope that this qualifies for the Zynthian category. I’m learning to use Zynseq yet :worried:

PD: I use to make my compositions in Musescore (or Lilypond when I’m not busy) export to midi and import the midi file in seq64. Then I can cut and make all the loops. I think that is easier to work in a score than in a pianoroll. Is not a very productive workflow but it works for me, I would very happy if I could do this in Zynthian.

4 Likes

I think you’re being too hard on yourself - I liked it a lot and found your description of the workflow (and why) very interesting and useful. Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks for this @Lanfranco ! This is a little embarrassing for me but I’m very very happy that you like this tune

2 Likes

Why embarrassing? If something is beautiful and creates emotions, it is fair to say so.
Yesterday I put your song in my Zynthian and I tried to put some piano notes in it… but it’s beautiful like this and I let it go. :blush:

2 Likes

I would suggest changing the playmode to singleshot so that you can stop playback within the piece and not have it loop at end. I notice the faders are all set to unity gain. Maybe you balanced the audio levels somewhere else?

Your workflow is very interesting and may indicate areas where Zynthian’s sequencer can be improved.

It is for @jofe to decide whether this use of ZynSeq qualifies for category Z. You used my suggestion to import but then there was no further manipulation within ZynSeq. (Maybe because it was already perfect??? :wink:)

1 Like

What an impressive variety of musical languages and cultural backgrounds this initiative has revealed!

If it was in the mind of the promoters to discover what the nice bunch of Zynthianers was really doing, with their ingenious little boxes, well I think that they just nailed it. :slightly_smiling_face: :ok_hand:

5 Likes

That’s not the reason :disappointed_relieved:. I want to manipulate the sequences but I was able to succesfully import the mid file arround the 2 am (in my country) I was sleepy to learn how to use ZynSeq at that time. And I need to finish the song yesterday because I will not be able to work in the song today and tomorrow. That’s the same reason why I didn’t ajust the volume in the faders.

I’m not proud of my work, I have to be honest.

Oh thanks. I use a lot of sequences, but I really like doted notes that are easier to make in a score editor, at least for me, also I use to get lost in a piano grid.

1 Like

Hello everybody!
This is my contribution to the competition.

Title: Origin
Description: a little dreamy electro/synth tune with some inspiration from hungarian folk music.

The song is self-contained. It was sequenced with Renoise and Zynthian (I created some Renoise phrases inside an empty song and translated it to zynthian sequences with a custom-made converter utility via SFTP).

Here’s the audio recording (played using zynpads). Some compression was applied, otherwise I recorded it through a UMC1820 sound card. No custom preset is used.

Snapshot:

origin.zss (64.4 KB)

Screenshots:

mixer

zynpad

8 Likes

I redid the percussion, of my last song, but @jofemodo, I can’t edit my post. I’ll put everything here and then delete the old post…

Title: Risacca
Midi:
002-FluidSynth;AVL Drumkits Perc;AVL Drumkits Percuss.mid (9.9 KB)

Snapshot:
007-Contest3.zss (33.3 KB)
Screenshot:

Audio file:

Grazie

4 Likes

Here is my last track for the contest. This one is for category Z.
I used Zynseq and i wrote the notes in every sequences, but i planned in advance the positions in Zynpad in order to obtain an easyer (…i guess) live playability. So i recorded the track “playing” the sequences using my Launchpad Mini mk3. I suppose i could play that on a bigger touch display (5 inches maybe).
Here we have the mp3, the snapshot, a pair of screenshot, a video of the live recording and a scheme of the sequences, just in case someone wants to replay the song.
The title is Everything must flow (wich is what i was trying to obtain studying Zynseq :rofl:). Enjoy!

Everything must flow.zss (66.7 KB)

EMF-mixer

EMF-zynpad

EMF-scheme

6 Likes

I have to say:

they are here a bunch of good tracks/sounds/demos deserving Zynthian capabilities so nicely

:+1:

1 Like

I love the video! :heart_eyes:

Hello All the people!
Nice to participate to send great felicitations to this nice project!!!

Title WesternBrassBand

It is a WesternStory; about an aventure man who loose itself in a field of a great technology: a land far far away : The Zynthian land…

3 part for 4 classic instruments of the fanfare

I try to play this midi file with my very old Zynthian , but ssh, midi file conexion in web browser, all will conduct me in chess,

the sound fonts are sampled instrument played with linuxsampler piloted with Qtractor.
Ch 1 trompette (4)
Ch 2 Trompette stac (15)
Ch 3 horn (cor) (1)
Ch 4 trombone (2)
Ch 5 trombonne stac (3)
Ch 6 tuba (5)
Ch 7 tuba stac (13)
western.mid (5.9 KB)

Nice to meet you,
enjoy your ears…
and sorry for my fucking english…

5 Likes

Hey Zynthianers!
Cutting it a bit close to the deadline, but I managed to finish my track for the competition :smiley:

It’s called Zynesthesia
(a little pun, with Synesthesia being the phenomenon of associating colors or shapes with music; I’m in love with the concept :grin:)

I went for a relaxed downtempo vibe, inspired by meditation & lounge music as well as some chill house tracks I like.

The track was made 100% on my Zynthian, with some sequences entered manually in the pattern sequencer (like the drums) and others recorded into it (Rhodes, Flute…). I only used external tools to record the final result. Should fit in CATEGORY Z :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s got 6 Tracks, featuring Linux Sampler presets for the 808 drums, StereoRhodes & Flutes, as well as Helm for the deep Bass & Arp and MDA DX10 for the melodic toms.
I used some audio effects like Roomy & MDA Delay to give it some depth and dimension. There’s also an arpeggiator with matching BPM on Chain 4 to fill the mix with a lush atmosphere.

Here’s the snapshot:
Zynesthesia.zss (45.5 KB)

And the track:

And finally some Zynthian screenshots:

Mixer & Zynpads

Melo Tom & Bass Pattern

Recorded Rhodes Chords & Atmospheric Arpeggiator Chain

Hope you like it! I’m very much looking forward to receving some feedback on it :blush:

8 Likes

Dear @jofemodo … I think the new V5 will have many nice demos :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like