Zynthian Snapshot Contest Extended: 2 x V5 unit for the 2 winners!

Hello everybody!
This is my contribution to the competition.

Title: Origin
Description: a little dreamy electro/synth tune with some inspiration from hungarian folk music.

The song is self-contained. It was sequenced with Renoise and Zynthian (I created some Renoise phrases inside an empty song and translated it to zynthian sequences with a custom-made converter utility via SFTP).

Here’s the audio recording (played using zynpads). Some compression was applied, otherwise I recorded it through a UMC1820 sound card. No custom preset is used.

Snapshot:

origin.zss (64.4 KB)

Screenshots:

mixer

zynpad

8 Likes

I redid the percussion, of my last song, but @jofemodo, I can’t edit my post. I’ll put everything here and then delete the old post…

Title: Risacca
Midi:
002-FluidSynth;AVL Drumkits Perc;AVL Drumkits Percuss.mid (9.9 KB)

Snapshot:
007-Contest3.zss (33.3 KB)
Screenshot:

Audio file:

Grazie

4 Likes

Here is my last track for the contest. This one is for category Z.
I used Zynseq and i wrote the notes in every sequences, but i planned in advance the positions in Zynpad in order to obtain an easyer (…i guess) live playability. So i recorded the track “playing” the sequences using my Launchpad Mini mk3. I suppose i could play that on a bigger touch display (5 inches maybe).
Here we have the mp3, the snapshot, a pair of screenshot, a video of the live recording and a scheme of the sequences, just in case someone wants to replay the song.
The title is Everything must flow (wich is what i was trying to obtain studying Zynseq :rofl:). Enjoy!

Everything must flow.zss (66.7 KB)

EMF-mixer

EMF-zynpad

EMF-scheme

6 Likes

I have to say:

they are here a bunch of good tracks/sounds/demos deserving Zynthian capabilities so nicely

:+1:

1 Like

I love the video! :heart_eyes:

Hello All the people!
Nice to participate to send great felicitations to this nice project!!!

Title WesternBrassBand

It is a WesternStory; about an aventure man who loose itself in a field of a great technology: a land far far away : The Zynthian land…

3 part for 4 classic instruments of the fanfare

I try to play this midi file with my very old Zynthian , but ssh, midi file conexion in web browser, all will conduct me in chess,

the sound fonts are sampled instrument played with linuxsampler piloted with Qtractor.
Ch 1 trompette (4)
Ch 2 Trompette stac (15)
Ch 3 horn (cor) (1)
Ch 4 trombone (2)
Ch 5 trombonne stac (3)
Ch 6 tuba (5)
Ch 7 tuba stac (13)
western.mid (5.9 KB)

Nice to meet you,
enjoy your ears…
and sorry for my fucking english…

5 Likes

Hey Zynthianers!
Cutting it a bit close to the deadline, but I managed to finish my track for the competition :smiley:

It’s called Zynesthesia
(a little pun, with Synesthesia being the phenomenon of associating colors or shapes with music; I’m in love with the concept :grin:)

I went for a relaxed downtempo vibe, inspired by meditation & lounge music as well as some chill house tracks I like.

The track was made 100% on my Zynthian, with some sequences entered manually in the pattern sequencer (like the drums) and others recorded into it (Rhodes, Flute…). I only used external tools to record the final result. Should fit in CATEGORY Z :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s got 6 Tracks, featuring Linux Sampler presets for the 808 drums, StereoRhodes & Flutes, as well as Helm for the deep Bass & Arp and MDA DX10 for the melodic toms.
I used some audio effects like Roomy & MDA Delay to give it some depth and dimension. There’s also an arpeggiator with matching BPM on Chain 4 to fill the mix with a lush atmosphere.

Here’s the snapshot:
Zynesthesia.zss (45.5 KB)

And the track:

And finally some Zynthian screenshots:

Mixer & Zynpads

Melo Tom & Bass Pattern

Recorded Rhodes Chords & Atmospheric Arpeggiator Chain

Hope you like it! I’m very much looking forward to receving some feedback on it :blush:

8 Likes

Dear @jofemodo … I think the new V5 will have many nice demos :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Really enjoyed your entry and love the name Zynesthesia!

2 Likes

This is my last try.

Title: Estrepitoso
Description: Little attempt to make a song in zynthian.
Snapshot:
014-Estripitoso.zss (38.9 KB)
Track:

2 Likes

BEAUTIFUL!!! Unfortunately I can’t think like you do with these little loops… I’ve always played with people and the drummer took care of the percussion or drums. I really like the sounds.

When I was young if you wanted a sequencer you had to get this:
Senza titolo

3 Likes

Whoao whoao whoaoo!!!

This final stretch is being really interesting, with last-moment players applying with very good proposals on the Z category. Congratulations to everybody who applied!!! Amazing!!!

Well, let’s see what these last hours bring us. I’m really intrigued …

4 Likes

Title: machinery
Description: a synthwavy track with some progressive elements sprinkled in

This was a bigger technical challenge than I had expected. I jammed on it with the beatstep then moved to ableton to arrange it. Had some troubles exporting as a multitrack midi from ableton so I had to export separately and use reaper to export as multitrack. Now I have my midi file, great! But now I realise I don’t know how to get it into Zynthian again (or at least make the file play somehow). So I had to generate audio has from ableton, it is using all the same instruments and plugins as zynthian, hopefully that’s acceptable. I’d be happy to create audio from zynthian once I figure out how to get the midi working.

010-zynsnapmachinery.zss (58.2 KB)
machinery.mid (19.1 KB)

6 Likes

OK @zynthianers!

The contest is closed now. Please, don’t send more works because we can’t accept them.
I mean, you can send them if you like, but they wont be eligible.

In the next days we will make public the list of finalists. Although i think all works presented in the Z category will be finalists.in the X category we will have some work to do.

Thanks to all contesters!!

7 Likes

Hi @contesters!

Although it’s a little bit “too late”, I’ve a rule-change proposal, but i would like to ask you first:

10 is a very long list for the final voting. As the Z category already have 5 songs, i propose to also reduce to 5 the finalist song list for the X-category. I really think this would ease voting and would increase participation. Also, it would reduce the risk of tie, etc.

In other words, i propose that the jury make a list of 5 finalist pieces for each category: X & Z

Of course, this change can’t be done without asking contenders . If any contender disagree, we should keep the rules untouched.

What do you think about? You have 2 days for complaining if you disagree this change. After this time i would consider everybody is OK with this.

9 Likes

OK! It seems nobody is against this change. The jury will proceed …

Thanks!

3 Likes

Any news from the jury, about the X/Z shortlists? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have the finalists!

X-Category

1. The seas of Mars by @Nicolaz (link to original post)
    The inspiration came from one of my favourite science fiction writers, Kim Stanley Robinson", who wrote a trilogy about the colonization of Mars. The whole story is complicated but at the end of the terraforming process, Mars have oceans. “The seas of Mars” is the image i created in my mind when i read this part.

2. Inneremerald by @Aethermind (link to original post)
    The piece portrays a mental voyage through the depths of cosmos, in search for the discovery of an emeraldine life-form, based on mineral elements. It develops in three dovetailed sections: the approach through stellar layers of coloured dust, the revelation of a shimmering landscape of sentient gems, the retreat into space, with a reflection on such glimpses of crystalline cities, as an exact counterpoint of mirroring concepts.

3. WesternBrassBand by @ivaneo (link to original post)
    It is a WesternStory; about an aventure man who loose itself in a field of a great technology: a land far far away : The Zynthian land…

4. The Prayer by @ejdzi (link to original post)
    Prayer to Archangel Michael by Pope Leo XIII in Polish Language!

5. Clouds Coming on Planes by @erasmo (link to original post)
    My goal was getting a soft, natural but authentic sound. I know some of you will find a bit of reverb excess, but was intended. I forced it to expand an “airy” atmosphere.

Z-Category

1. Pequeño Landó by @Andres (link to original post)
    A little composition in a folk afro-peruvian rythm called landó.

2. Origin by @danielwine (link to original post)
    A little dreamy electro/synth tune with some inspiration from hungarian folk music.

3. Everything must flow by @Nicolaz (link to original post)
    What i was trying to obtain studying Zynseq :rofl:

4. Zynesthesia by @Kosro (link to original post)
    A little pun, with Synesthesia being the phenomenon of associating colors or shapes with music; I’m in love with the concept :grin: I went for a relaxed downtempo vibe, inspired by meditation & lounge music as well as some chill house tracks I like.

5. Estrepitoso by @Andres (link to original post)
    Little attempt to make a song in zynthian.

Congratulations to the chosen!!!

You can vote here:

VOTING FIRST ZYNTHIAN CONTEST (until 2023-08-04)

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thank you @jofemodo :slightly_smiling_face:

A question: do the finalists also hold the right to cast a vote?

And in this case - I would assume for the sake of fairplay - not for themselves, right? :wink:

Each forum user has the right to vote once. You can vote yourself if you like your song more than others :wink:

I assume nobody is going to register new accounts for emitting fake votes.

Regards,

2 Likes