Introduce yourself!

In any case Zynthianā€™s Big Band sounds brilliant.

Hi Zynthians! I will be joining your ranks soon. Components are ordered, and Iā€™ll be posting in the build forum as soon as they arrive. Iā€™m looking forward to this project.

2 Likes

Hello All,

Iā€™m from Brazil, and really like the zynthian idea. Iā€™ll look to build one very soon. Thanks for this amazing project.

2 Likes

Some background on me and my rigs. I live in Amsterdam and have been play piano for 45 years guitar, bass and organ for 40. started playing midi guitar 30 years ago. and have used every system (and have) on the market was endorsed by shadow for their system 20 years ago and more recently the axon by teratech (now out of business) which has become the fishman triple play. also have racks of roland gear.

I also use bass pedals, Which are two sets of pedals from some old organs I got for free wired up to an old roland midi controller which gives me both midi and usb out in a custom case with a two foot switches to change patches and volume pedal.

I have roland gk3 pickups installed on 2 variax 700 guitars and 2 fender strats.

Now I currently have 3 different rigs.

So rig one for the quick and easy need to do a gig rig, 1 variax 13 pin to Roland GR 20 and 1/4 inch to a Zoom G1xon (yes two cable from the guitar) then out from gr20 and zoom to Front of house. quick easy fits
in a gig bag.

Rig two the small rack system. 1 variax 13 pin to Axion midi out to a roland jv1080, 1/4 inch to my guitar pedal board , foot pedals to a roland u-220 and a rack mount line mixer to mix my sound on stage and
send 2 outs to the front of house.

Rig three the big system. this is the main one I tour with was designed originally to handle all kinds of sound and fast patch changes and other issues on the road when I do large tours. So the racks contain 2 akia 5000 samplers, 2 esi 4000 samplers, Korg wavestation a/d, Roland JV1080, Axion and foot pedals all patch into a motu midi express xt all outputs to a 16 channel line mixer. Before show all the samplers are loaded with the
performances/bank and there are no reloads from disk during the show (one of the reason for so many samplers). on the guitar 13 pin to axion, 1/4 inch to my effects to marshal amps on the GK3 midi pickup there are a program up button and down button and a volume nob. when you change program up or down on the guitar that changes the patch in the axion which deals with midi port, channel, patch and program but does not send a midi program change out. the volume knob is a master midi volume knob. the program change up and down on the foot pedal changes only the preset in the motu midi interface which does midi routing to the right outboard gear.

now the changes I want to make is to shrink the both rig 2 and 3 into a zynthian(s) keep the axion but go out of the axion into the Zynthian via midi cable and have the foot pedal go into the zythian via usb.

I am sure it will be a nice bumpy road but this is my plan. hope to have a Zynthian build in the next couple of weeks to see what is possible.

John

@john

Wow - impressive gear! I am a Strat fan, too :slight_smile:

Do you have a link to a video see you playing live on stage?

Regards, Holger

Hi @ all! Greetings from Germany :smile:

I just found this amazing project a week ago and I do like it a lot! Thank you all and especially @jofemodo jofemodo for making this possible!

My plan is to build a slightly modified Zynthian. I will try to use a 7inch HDMI screen with touch control via USB. Another topic here in the forum encouraged me to do this and I really hope that it works out as planned. In case of success I will try to write a HowTo about it.

About me:
-Into computers since I started back in the days with a Schneider CPC and later on with a 386DX40
-Into making music since 1 1/2 years (better late then never ^^) Click for Examples

kind regards, lod

Hi @lod!

Welcome to Zynthian!
Nice music ā€¦ :wink:
Good luck with the mounting! I hope you can integrate a Zynthian Box in your setup very soon!

Regards!

Hello,
My name is Adam. Iā€™m from Poland. Iā€™m civil engineer and amateur home musician. Iā€™m very proud because now Iā€™m the owner of new Zynthian Box! :smiley: Iā€™v managed to mount all by myself (even PCB made with permanent pen). Juppi :slight_smile: Tomorow I will send few photos. Thanks to All but especialy to JosĆ©. JosĆ©, I am full of respect for you!! Great work and thanks for this community share. Iā€™v got few questions/ problems but i think that it should be asked in another thread.
Regards,
Adam

Congratulations for your succesful building! You are really welcome, Adam!
Iā€™m impatient of see your zynthian box ā€¦ jeje! :wink:

Kind Regards!

Hi,

Just a quick hi really. Iā€™m Don, currently based in Asia, originally from UK.

Stumbled across Zynthian whilst searching for something else, and very impressed with what you guys have achieved, very nice, and like the open source way of things. Hackability = right up my street !

Nice to meet you anyway.

I have a couple of questions hardware related, will post separately.

Hiā€¦

Iā€™m Sergio (AKA Axeman), from Italy.

I found Zynthian while searching for a completely different thing, and as an analog synthesizer fan, I loved it from the beginning.

I already had at home a bunch of RPi3 used for other things (my VideoRecorderā€™oā€™death built with LibreElec and 4 DVB-T receivers, a RetroPie installation, a PiPresents installation, an Oktoprint controller, and some other device not worth mentioning).

I had no specific Zynthian hardware so I assembled a version using a HDMI 7" Touch display, a USB audio card, and some 3D printed encoders, the same day :slight_smile:

It worked, but I think drivers for the audio card are too unstable because jack service crashes after a minute.

But I really liked it. Now Iā€™m waiting for the HiFiBerry DAC and the PiTFT to build a ā€œregularā€ Zynthian version.

2 Likes

Welcome on board, @Axeman!

I hope to see your Zynthian Box in action very soon ā€¦ jeje! Send some feedback when itā€™s ready ā€¦

Kind Regards!

Sure Iā€™ll send some feedback (and STLs for the case I want to print)

For now, this is the interface on the 7" 1200x600 displayā€¦ A little problem is that it scales ā€œresponsivelyā€ but with the original font size, and the capacitive touch screen, itā€™s almost impossibile to select an entry with the finger :slight_smile:

Try to change the font size in the GUI config file :wink:

Hello Axeman,

im using also a 7" screen (1024x600). You can edit the config

nano /zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynthian_gui_config.py

Find and modify the following lines

topbar_height=48
font_topbar=(font_family,18)
font_listbox=(font_family,16)
font_ctrl_title_maxsize=18

Its not finished yet but I have taken a picture as an example for font size:

I have not yet found a way to increase the frot size of the controller windows (those in the corners) ā€¦ maybe someone else?

Hello, John.

My Jackson Charvel guitar have a MIDI Shadow converter yet!

https://www.facebook.com/juancarlos.carrazon

my shadow is currently on the shelf. am using axion but because of no support I am testing the triple play with its foot controller. Nice it is wireless but not convinced yet.

1 Like

Hi all,

Bob here from Manchester, UK.

Iā€™d been thinking about making a Raspberry Pi-based synth for ages but all the dreaming and research I did suggested it was a project well beyond my non-existent coding/soldering DIY skills.

Iā€™ve been working on my Zynthian kit on and off for the past six months or so. I wrecked two DACs in the process and ended up with circuitry that looks like itā€™s been soldered by an alcoholic chimp. In short, I had absolutely zero confidence the finished thing would work. But it did!

This lovely little box fills digital-shaped hole in my mostly analogue setup & I canā€™t wait to take it to my band for some live fun. All I need to do now is brush up on my keyboard skills!

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m Max from Italy (Turin) and Iā€™m a DIY enthusiast and musician. I fix keyboards and fiddle with knobs, piano keys, bass strings at times and I also make custom effects.
Zynthian looks very intriguing and I hope to build one soon - Iā€™ll take a look if I can find part lists / schematics for the knobs and I/O.
Cheers!

Hi @awambawamb , Iā€™m from Turin tooā€¦ if you need hints for the parts just let me know.

1 Like