3D printing of case

The stl files at https://github.com/zynthian/zynthian-hw/tree/master/box/3DPrint appear to be in error, possibly the scale is incorrect? I have tried to load them into Microsoft’s 3D builder and all 3 stl files fail with erro5r code 0x80004005. I have tried to upload them to numerous online 3D printing bureaus and they all report that the files are in error. One that did upload successfully, reported that the dimensions of the box were 3 e+35 mm (i think that might stretch to the moon!). Has anyone used these files successfully?

Hi @cdswift!

I printed the case some time ago, but had to fix up the STLs and i forgot to update the version in the repository.

Tomorrow i will revise the STLs and upload a fixed version. I will notify in this thread when it’s ready.

Regards!

Thanks for that. I’m hoping to receive my metal case soon, but I wanted to start building another Zynthian in the meantime.
Regards
Chris

See my draw printed made a certain effect XD

For sure, @artico78 :wink:

Hi @cdswift!

Belén, a friend from the Punt Multimedia of Sants, who is an expert in 3D printing, has been fixing up the 3D print design. She have to clean some details more before generating the STLs. I hope it will be ready for tomorrow.

Best Regards!

Thanks for the update. I will look out for the updated files.
Regards
Chris

Hi @cdswift!
I have uploaded the fixed STLs to the repository. I’m just printing a case, but it will take about 8 hours to finish. I will publish some photos when the case is finished. Please, give feedback if you print a case :wink:

I will upload the files to a local bureau & wait for the results.

Regards

Chris

I must be doing something wrong.

I have tried 2 online 3D printing bureaux. The first one is at: https://www.3dhubs.com and when I upload the files it says that the model is too big.

The 2nd one is at: http://www.quick-teck.co.uk/3DPrinting/onlineQuote.php and the file renders OK but the resulting models will be huge.

The 3rd one I tried was at: https://www.trinckle.com/en/printorder.php which reported that the file was in error.

Also, the file will not load into Microsoft 3D builder.

I must be doing something wrong?

Chris

If you open the STLs directly in GitHub, it open correctly. Also, i’ve tried with http://www.viewstl.com/ and it works perfectly. These are very standard STL viewers.

Look at this:

Fresh from the printer 5 mins ago :wink:

Anyway, i’ve no idea about 3D printing. Belén, from PMS, is helping to me with this. She is using netfabb & slicer, both in windows.

Best Regards!

1 Like

Your new top panel looks good. I will try again on Friday (I am in a meeting all day tomorrow).

Thanks

Chris

I like your 3D printing project, I will study it during these days, and I will looking for a cheap printing service in my town (Florence)… mhhhh… I think it will be a hard searching phase! :smile:
At the moment me and my father (the Garretlabs mechanical expert! :smile:) we are studying a prototyped solution with one Hammond aluminium box… because I love (and I produce for friends… :wink: ) guitar/basses effects pedals.
The box is this: http://www.mouser.it/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1590DBKvirtualkey54600000virtualkey546-1590D-BK and it is should be very “bare metal” solution.
A little rough :smile: but for the first live experiments with my bands it should be (I hope) a safe setup.

I discovered what I was doing wrong. I downloaded the stl files from Github with a left click on the file name and then ‘Save as’ . I should have checked the resulting files because they were just html code for the web page, not stl code. When I opened the file and then clicked ‘download’, I was presented with a screen of stl code which I then just saved as an stl file and now my files have been accepted by an online bureau in London and are being printed.

If I’m able, I will upload a picture of the finished result.

Thanks
Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris!
Have you made some progress printing the 3D case? I’m very interested in knowing about it …
Also, i’ve udpated the STLs and Sketchup files in the repository. Belén have improved some details :wink:

Regards!

I didn’t get on well, I’m afraid. Maybe it was a problem with the quality of the printing, but I could not mount the pi plus DAC without enlarging the holes for USB, Ethernet and power inlet. I think that the resolution of the printing bureau that I used is not good enough. I have abandoned it and will wait for the metal case.
Chris

Ohh! What a pitty! But it’s not strange …

In my short experience, 3D printing is quite problematic. You have to spend many hours and have some experience for getting a good result.

As you probably know, the STL is not the “machine code” of 3D printers. You have to “compile” the STLs for each printer, obtaining the “GCODE”, that is the true “machine code”. This process requires experience and good knowledge of the printer. Even so, normally you have to make some tries before getting a decent result.

Best Regards!