Adding battery power to an official V5

I’m really in love with my V5, and the only limiting factor for me is the power cord ^^
I used to take my custom V4 to gigs and power it off a Quick Charge 3 USB power bank.

I’d like to do something similar with the V5, but I don’t want to drill into the beatuiful case…
From what I can tell, the V5’s barrel jack takes 24V, so there’s probably a step-down-converter in there, right?
Is there some simple way of bypassing that and running directly off 5V? I have some 18650 boards laying around and can imagine building a slanted base with batteries inside.

Any other ideas, experience with a battery-powered V5??

Cheers!

1 Like

You can power it with any voltage over 7V. Any decent 12v battery will do the task perfectly.

Regards

2 Likes

Look at this:

https://www.amazon.es/Batería-recargable-3000-mAh-baterías-cámaras/dp/B06ZYQPK3P/ref=asc_df_B06ZYQPK3P/

This should keep your V5 running for several hours.

Regards

1 Like

For another device (Maschine+) i bought a USB-C Powerbank with PD and a special cable with USB-C and a barrel connector. There are different cable with a chip wich switches to the right power.

With this cable i get 15Volt. can try it tommorow with the V5

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks for the info and suggestions :smiley:

I remembered today that I still have some of these laying around:

Not as fancy as PD and @JayBee’s cable, but my powerbank only does QC3.0…

They’re rated for 10W, and a quick test showed the V5 draws around 7W (with several synth channels active):

No undervoltage problems so far. I’ll do an endurance test tomorrow. Might still get hot.

2 Likes

this is just … excellent

:+1:

[edit] With display on ?[/edit)

1 Like

Yes, I tried to reach a high load… Didn’t try recording, but I doubt that would change much…

2 Likes

It’s really interesting and very cheap. I’m thinking of buying a few of these and offering in the shop with the V5, so everybody buying the V5 could power it from any decent power bank.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I like the idea. Remember to check their exact specifications though. They might come with lower current ratings and it’s not always really visible on the store page :slight_smile: