Additional Hardware UI Shortcuts, Could be Handy

To not break with the consistent control behavior model, there could be “undocumented” easter egg functions added.

The easiest way to add another dimension might be to have another button act like a modifier key, as a control is being rotated.

That is, detecting a rotation while another button is pressed switches to an alternate mode.

(A simultaneous press and rotate don’t occur in normal operation?)

Worse case examples are MOD pedalboard setups with lots of controls, it is quite tedious to find a virtual dial.

Working with the 16x16 sequencer is the worst.
CTRL-4 rotation could provide a normal up/down scroll action in the MOD settings list when the alt key is held.
Consider, when an alternate action key is held, the description lines on the LCD normally showing a device name line after line, become compact, 4 column setting value summaries, with 1/4 of a line for each of the 4 encoder knob. In the case of the sequencer this might allow you to quickly scroll past sets of 4 zeros indication all off notes for that line.

Tried to mockup the data list counterpart of the normal sub-list, disappointing that an abbreviated label can’t be consistently be fit in <= 18 char lines.
Dynamically switching to a more compact font would accommodate more details. (I imagine coming up with some rule for making a couple character abbreviated data label might the most tedious part)

The encoder graphic representations might update as the list is scrolled or remain frozen until the modifier key is released, when the MOD settings list would also switch to normal info.

( I also considered rotating a knob while it is pressed for unique results, but one would need android wrists to accomplish much.)

I may try to produce some experimental examples in the future…

2 Likes