Any LV2 Arp Solina, Roland RS type string machines [SOLVED!]

I was wondering if anyone knows of any LV2 plugins , that might be made Zynthian compatible, for emulating the classic string machines like the Solina.

I actually had the Roland RS-101 way back when. Cool machine but rather heavy.

The Stringers are characterized by their sync’d divide-down oscillators and the classic 3-stage phaser.

Edit: Chorus, not phaser

I imagine ZynAddSubFx could come close with some prodding but I have much to learn about that beast.

I found this! https://github.com/jpcima/string-machine

Can’t find a pre-compiled version for rpi but it sounded rather lovely on my laptop.

1 Like

If you has a decent knowledge about the device, you could write a Faust model. Generate LV2 from Faust is trivial.

Regards,

quick install

git clone --recursive https://github.com/jpcima/string-machine.git
cd string-machine
make
DESTDIR=/zynthian/zynthian-my-plugins LV2DIR=/lv2 make install

Then you can add it in the web interface and it sounds like:

NOTE: I have a pi4. It was quite cpu intensive, so I don’t know how a pi3 will get on.

edited for incorrect install path, whoops!

4 Likes

How was it on the Pi4? Reasonable polphony?

Certainly sounds like a classic stringer.

Build seemed to go just fine.

Here it is installed

root@zynthian:/zynthian/zynthian-my-plugins/lv2/string-machine.lv2# ll
total 476
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 2923 Dec 30 02:44 manifest.ttl
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 26175 Dec 30 02:44 presets.ttl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 131240 Dec 30 02:44 string-machine_dsp.so
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 12215 Dec 30 02:44 string-machine_dsp.ttl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 302584 Dec 30 02:44 string-machine_ui.so
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 811 Dec 30 02:44 string-machine_ui.ttl

However, I don’t see it in the webconfig so I can’t enable it.

1 Like

Hmm, Did you click the big button to search plugins under the advanced checkbox? Maybe try a reboot.

According to the developer it has theoretical infinite poly which could be a problem. I tested it up to 29 notes, then I ran out of fingers, but it was fine.

1 Like

Hi I’m the developer. It’s an infinite polyphony up to 128 MIDI keys. :slightly_smiling_face:

There is some room for improvement as performance is concerned, and I will need to check and benchmark a variety of things. Feedback about ARM builds will be always welcome.

I’m glad you like the program, a thing welcome would be presets contribution, as the former ones were corrupted in a major breaking update, and I should renew it for a next release preparation.

Feel free to ask about anything.

7 Likes

Thanks for the wonderful synth! Stringers (esp. Solina type) where my all-time favs (had the Vermona Strings one time, what a marvelous stringer! And yours sounds even better!), so having it on Zynthian is a must for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh… that giant button. :open_mouth:

Yeah… I looked right past that. It was just too big to notice. :grin:

Works now.

1 Like

Quick sound check :slight_smile: (Go back to 60-70s for a sec)

BTW all sounds from the stringer including percs as well :wink:

5 Likes

About presets. How to save and share them? As snapshots? Or there is a hidden shortcut to save them as presets inside of the synth?

For Zynthian they should really be lv2 presets. There isn’t really an easy way for us to create them without XForwarding the jalv.gtk ui. Although I suppose there should be a way of extracting settings from a snapshot and converting that to an lv2 preset.

OK, got it. Will be glad to add some presets then, if more info will come later.

1 Like

Thanks @sm7x7 you’re welcome for contributing, I’ll accept a preset or snapshot in any form, I’ll figure how to make an appropriate conversion on my side.

2 Likes

Here are some 15 presets in the snapshot format:
000-SM Bank.zip (15.7 KB)
You’re the boss, change them in whatever taste you like.

3 Likes

@sm7x7 Oh man, thanks a lot, I’m going to include these! It seems easy enough.
(Your demo’s fantastic, love it btw)

Let me know if you’d like I write a particular name to credit you for this work.

Thanks man! Doing now a couple of percussion sounds, just for fun. Nah, hate credits… If super nesessary, just put my initials there (SM). Would be enough :slight_smile:

Very cool!!! Thanks @Baggypants. I created a PR inside zynthian-sys.

Regards, Holger

3 Likes