Any LV2 Arp Solina, Roland RS type string machines [SOLVED!]

Currently I have some trouble to diagnose the MIDI note problem.
@Dithered42, are you able to share a MIDI file which creates the stuck note issue?

@jofemodo, am I correct in assuming “jack-smf-player.c” is the program referred to as Zynthian MIDI player? I wish to try reproducing the issue on desktop computer.

As I recall, any MIDI file I tried had the stuck initial note/chord problem. It didn’t seem to be some strange edge condition caused by a unique sequence. The initial note or possibly chord of any sequence I tried just stuck on.

Again though, I was unable to repro that condition with a MIDI controller. I tried several times including REMOVE ALL and starting again with a fresh launch of String Machine assuming the first notes from the controller would stick. They didn’t.

Re-installed the stringer now. Everything is great except the presets from 1 to 12 don’t show their names; only 13 to 19 are named. Presets 1 to 12 are still under names like “Program 1, Program 2”, and so on. And I really like now the chorus rates - 1.0 to 9.0 and 0.1 to 0.9. Awesome range there is!
There is an advice if I may. How about a phaser FX with the range between 0.1 and 0.9 in the end of an FX chain? Then the stringer will be totally authentic:) It’s now definitely possible to add it from the Zynth FXs, but… Having it’s own phaser makes the stringer THE whole thing :slight_smile:

As I recall, any MIDI file I tried had the stuck initial note/chord problem.

I’ll let it fly, as I’m not to reproduce it in any situation tried, and I tested the voice manager as much I can, it seems solid as much as I can tell.

Presets 1 to 12 are still under names like “Program 1, Program 2”, and so on.

This is not expected, this name scheme is supposed to be gone by the current version.

If I were to take a wild guess, it’s possibly a vestige which remains from the older one and creates a conflict. Maybe a copy these have found their way into user presets? Someone who knows about these can maybe explain it.

How about a phaser FX with the range between 0.1 and 0.9 in the end of an FX chain?

I have made a phaser FX already with intent to add it to the string synth.
It will be for a future release, in the meantime it can be used as a plugin by itself.

1 Like

Just for the reference…

YES-YES-YESSSSS! :slight_smile:

Highly likely, the steps I mentioned install string-machine into /zynthian/zynthain-my-plugins/ the official script installs into /zynthian/zynthian-plugins. Jalv is reading both manifests.

I didn’t think the official install of String Machine had been rolled out yet. String Machine is only installed in zynthian-my-plugins on my machine.

My presets only show 001-019 with the associated names. No “Program XX” listed.

We’ve all been running:

1 Like

Finally. Had to delete all previous installs and re-install again. Now everything shows great. Thanks for y’all’s help! :wink:

Some happy chords (stringer, noise mak3r for bass, and pd grids for drums) :+1:

4 Likes

I hadn’t run the official script yet. Deleted everything, ran the install. Works great.

2 Likes

Hi

I tried to apply the recipe but I get following message after “update_zynthian.sh”:

“…
Checking for ‘lvtk-plugin-1’ : not found
The configuration failed
(complete log in /home/pi/zynthian-sw/plugins/ams-lv2/build/config.log)
The project was not configured: run “waf configure” first!
…”

Then “$ZYNTHIAN_RECIPE_DIR/install_string-machine.sh” result in some other failure message and string machine is not in LV2 list in webconf.

I understand that there is some components missing in my case most probably.

Do you have any clue ?

Development news

Hi, I found a very interesting source of information in the “ARP Omni 2480 service manual”, which has many explanations of the circuits. This synth has some common design with the Solina, being apparently a hybrid of subsynth and strings.

I’ve checked out the oscillator section and compared to mine. The Omni has an extra control known as “Enhance” which permits to bias a clipper which is part of a transformer of square to sawtooth wave, and adds some harmonic content.
I think to add this control in the String machine, and I made a formula which is implemented as experiment, but I’m not yet entirely satisfied.

Also, I have thankfully identified a dumb bug in the Osc which is after I added PWM, and inadvertently the oscillator is a 10% duty pulse instead of a 50% square.
I have to fix this before a release happens, but it’ll also need readjusting the presets which have their sound altered after this change.

3 Likes

The exact message is necessary to diagnose the issues. The other issue is for amsynth which is likely unrelates.

Hi @Mr Dham!

I made some fixes to the string-machine install script. Try updating zynthian and run install script again.

Regards,

It works now ! Thank you.

You’re are right, I should have given the complete message.

2 Likes

What does it sound like down in the bass?
Did you do the mp3 externally…?

The sound sample was made straight away after I got it working.
That’s why it sounds a bit rough (I set no attack, decay, reverb…) but it already has a typical string machine sound. I like it

I made the wav with the Zynthian sound recorder and compressed it into mp3 externally for easier uploading to the site.

Later on I played it and could make some more subtle sound.
I’ll try to provide another sample by end of the week and focus on bass…

2 Likes

Another sample as promised:

A rather nice TV link !!! :smiley: