Are there any beginner howtos for zynthian

Hey folks,
my name is Sven and I’m new to zynthian.
I would like to use zynthian mainly as a live keyboard expander.

What is missing mostly are simple tutorials for beginners. I’m willing to help with this but can’t at the moment get my ideas to work with zynthian.

Some naming of main functions ist very irritating. Common use of layer means to play 2 or more sounds/patches parallel. So, if a newbie searches for ‘layering sounds’ this is misleading. I feel that zynthian’s layer is sort of a patch.

I would really appreciate some howtos on beginners items.

E.g. in my case I would like to use zynthian as main synth for all the patches/programmed sounds for a gig (snapshots in zynthian terminology?)

I want to create some layers for keyboard one and some, mostly piano and epiano, for keyboard two. Don’t get that to work.

How can I do that?

I would really go and write or film some beginner tutorial. But I’m missing some knowledge myself, I guess.

So, how do I create a setup with 20 layers (sounds/patches) for keyboard one exclusivly that also controlls the program changes and 20 different layers (sounds/patches) for a second keyboard?

Seems really compicated to me.

Thanks in advance

Hi @fittiflamingo! Welcome to the wonderful world of Zynthian.

You are right - we do things a tad unusually here. We dare to be different. The term, “layer” was meant to be something that it didn’t really materialise into so we are about to change to a different terminology. A new release of Zynthian firmware is imminent in which these changes will be evident.

For the current version, please checkout the user guide section of the wiki where you will find documentation, guides and even a few instructional videos.

1 Like

Hi riban.

Indeed one of the videos was a big help understanding zynthians way of naming things.

I’m much further now.

Next questions will surely follow soon.

Thanks for the help

I also began recently using a Zynthian as a live keyboard midi sound module (with Pianoteq 7). Please ask if you have any questions!