Audio Graphic Equalizer

Is there an audio graphic equalizer (or maybe a non-graphic one) that works with Zynthian? Or is there a built-in one I haven’t discovered yet?

Gonzo

Just looking through an older list of 633 - .lv2 plugins for the Mod-UI interface, these have EQ in the name:

3BandEQ.lv2
BSEQuencer.lv2
distrho-a-eq.lv2
dj_eq-swh.lv2
eqinox.lv2
gx_barkgraphiceq.lv2
gx_graphiceq.lv
mbeq-swh.lv2
mod-caps-Eq10.lv2
mod-caps-Eq10X2.lv2
mod-caps-Eq4p.lv2
mod-caps-EqFA4p.lv2
sapistaEQv2.lv2
stepseq_s16n8.lv2
stepseq_s32n8.lv2
stepseq_s8n16.lv2
stepseq_s8n4.lv2
stepseq_s8n8.lv2
tap-eq.lv2
tap-eqbw.lv2
ZamEQ2.lv2
ZamGEQ31.lv2

The filter might be a significant load on your processing budget, might be more efficient to get that sound shaping in a combination effect or amplifier model.

NOTE “stepseq” plugins are not EQs :wink: (@jofemodo)

Thanks for that - now I know how to do it. What a great package!
The 3-band seems to work well enough for what I want without too much overhead.

Gonzo

Hmmm… Why does the 3-Band equalizer kill all reverb?

Gonzo

Can you explain how are you creating your layer setup? Give the exat steps you follow.

Thanks

OK, the steps are:

Start with no layers
Select New Synth Layer
Select FluidSynth
Select MIDI Ch 1
Select soundfont
Select preset
** At control screen - check- we have reverb @64, and it changes by adjusting reverb knob
Short Click Layer
Bold Click select
Select Add Audio FX
Select 3 Band EQ
** At control screen - check - we have no reverb despite reverb setting @ 64
3 Band EQ1 layer - all settings on zero
3 Band EQ 2 layer - low-mid freq @220, Mid-High freq @1950

That’s it.

Gonzo

PS… if I then remove the Audio FX the reverb returns

1 Like

The same happens with the DJEQ equaliser - no reverb.

Do I have to add in another reverb (as well as Fluidsynth’s) after the equaliser?

Gonzo

1 Like

I confirm the bug.
Fluidsynth is a rare beast and have separated by-channel audio output for FX. Some patching will be needed :wink:

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @zynthianers!
I just commited a fix (on testing) for the fluidsynth FX’s audio routing issue.
Simply update on testing and test.

Enjoy!

1 Like

@jofemodo , thanks for the quick work. In the meantime I’m using mverb in the chain to give some reverb. I’ll have to work out what to do to enable “testing” so I can give back…

Gonzo

He he - I knew that odd use of separate Fluidsynth outputs would bite you!!! I can confirm that adding an LV2 audio effect tplugin o Fluidsynth does not stop Fluidsynth’s own reverb effect using the current version of Testing branch.

@gonzoB there is a stable release on its way so you may wish to wait a week or so and benefit from this fix rather than change to Testing branch.

Should I alert the guys on the FluidSynth forum to this? Is it a bug, or a “feature”?

Gonzo

Nope! Nothing wrong with Fluidsynth. This is how Zynthian uses an enhanced feature of Fluidsynth. FS can provide multiple outputs allowing individual processing of instruments, effects, etc. Zynthian uses this feature but a bug in Zynthian code meant that under some scenarios the routing was incorrect. (I personally think the use of this feature to be overkill and that we don’t benefit significantly but I’m not the boss and @jofemodo often knows better :blush:.) Fast response from our benevolent dictator has resolved this issue. As always - service exceeds that of most other providers :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

3 Likes

Ahhhahaha! I was waiting for it too!! :laughing:

I totally agree with you, but removing the internal effects from Fluidsynth is quite disruptive and i’m afraid that could be annoying for some users. Perhaps we could ask the community, explaining the advantages and disadvantages.

I will create a new post for this …

Cheers!