Audio problem

Hi Zynthians,

for my small, tablet sized Zynthian, I stumpled over a couple of questions.

First of all, I changed the sound output from the internal headphone jack, which worked so far, to the new Hifiberry DAC +.

Of course I changed the settings in the webconfig, reboot, but no sound.
Also the ‘test audio’ inside the menu plays nothing.
Another user mentioned a led on the dac board, which supossed to be lit when music is playing.

Maybe the board is just broken, dont know.

Second, when everything is running, I wanna put everything in a tablet sized case, so I cannot stack the dac on the pi. Means, it will be next to it and I need a custom cable. Which pins are actuell in use, in order to get it run??

Here are some screenshots from the config, hope somebody can help.

Many thanks in advance

Now that is some heavy I/O you are carrying there…

From a purely curious note what kind of thing do you hang off all those ins and outs?

With regard to your issue can you get a command line login to the machine?

You can do this from the webconf via the terminal there, but frankly, it’s a bit more irritating than helpful, so getting an ssh session on to the zynth is going to allow you to sort this out.

aplay -l will tell you a fair bit .

That also confuses me a lot!
There is no additional hardware, exept that Hifiberry. No glue, where these many IO suddenly comes from!

Without the hifiberry everthing looks normal

You can use Putty ( https://www.putty.org/ ) if your Zynthian is networked. Putty is free, you select the IP and SSH. A terminal opens where you can enter the line that @Wyleu gave you with the sound card connected. You will see the pins used by the board. However, you will see that someone more knowledgeable than me will answer you shortly…
Immagine

1 Like

Yes putty is a good way to get on, I’m sure there’s something in the wiki Command Line User Guide - ZynthianWiki. If you’ve never played with a command line it can be a little intimidating at first, but it really is the simplistic way to work out what is going on. Forgive us for the dinosaurs that roar round these parts it’s what they were brought up on, so we tend to assume…

Got the DAC reattached and also these many IO went back - no idea where there come from.

Sound still not working.

So propably the DAC is simply broken??
I mean, its not a special sophisticated card whatsoever, quite standard, should work out of the box??

Always from the heights of my cosmic ignorance. If you connect the sound card directly to the Raspberry, does it work?
This is my aplay -l:

You can also use (@Wyleu docet) this command to see the pins used: gpio readall

If with Putty you type alsamixer (and then F6), do you see your sound card?

My skills stop here… :no_mouth:

This behaviour is typical when I2c bus is shorted, so it looks like a broken device

Okey, I’ll send it back to the shop for a new one.
Gonna work in the meanwhile on the case.

Many thanks

Morning,

yesterday I received the new Hifiberry and everythings working now like it suppose to be.

So, next step: In order to get everything in my small printed case, I cant use such a big ribbon cable. Which pins are actually necessary from the 40 in total??
Ive found a pinout somewhere here, so it is simple 3.3V, 5V, GND, 12,35,40??

And how to configure it, that the internal headphone out is used as sync out??

Hi,

https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/hardware/gpio-usage-of-hifiberry-boards/

For the DAC+ :
“GPIO2-3 (pins 3 and 5) are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we don’t recommend this at all.
GPIOs 18-21 (pins 12, 35, 38 and 40) are used for the sound interface. You can’t use them for any other purpose.”

2 Likes