Bag of Test Tones

I built another zynthian, nice aluminium box, lousy 12mm holes cut with non pillar mounted hand drill, but all in all another addition to the pack of micro zynths that clutter up wyleu towers.

Finished it at about 10:00 last night and was disappointed to hear one channel was considerably quieter than the other. Given I don’t have an oscilloscope but do have a voltmeter that claims to do AC . I pondered what I could do . . .
So I put together a test tone bundle using audacity. Given the considerable discussion that emerged ( angels, pins etc) I generously indulged all kinds of zynthian users from the tuneful orchestrally enabled types (884 Hz) via the simple and cultured video heroes (1000Hz) and the impressive rock fraternity (880 Hz) and even the cloth eared radio simians . . (900 Hz).

I did them at ten levels ( 1.0 -> 0.1) using audacity ( yes I know levels is a big issue,but it’s a start),and I also slung in a left and right at full amplitude to help those who wish to while away their time checking that left is indeed left and right is indeed right.

For reference, once I detected that the level differences where down to a socket on the Mixer I was using, then I can report that the full amplitude outputs generate about 0.997 Volts on my AC voltmenter. Of course your value way differ but it does at least give a simple mechanism to check the zynth . . . .

I’ve located these in the capture folder of the zynth. (in my world sftp://root@zynthian-alm.local/zynthian/zynthian-my-data/capture/). So they don’t need to go down the polyphone pipeline to be pitch altered by MIDI transposition and such like …

IT’s about 183M so isn’t easy to load anywhere unless someone has a suggestion or to (that isn’t anatomical). But they are available as a starting point for some quantitative testing…

2 Likes