Better filenames for Audio & MIDI recording

Hi @zynthianers!

I just commited some changes regarding this ticket:

The new naming scheme is like that:

###-layername.ext

where:

• “###” : counter of 3 digits prefix (000-999)
  • “layername” is the “active layer’s name”
  • “ext” is the file extension (aka “mid” or “wav”)

I’ve also modified a little bit the list format on the UI:

zynthian_ui_midi_recording-01

Simply update and enjoy! :wink:

5 Likes

Jofemodo, my hero :smile:
I can’t test it now, because I’m far from my zynthian since a couple of weeks. I Will be back next month.
Cheers

1 Like

Am I the only one getting a little nervous with “>” in filenames? If recording would go to a (ex) fat (32) or usb drive, it would most likely not save (untested).
In any case, having to rename files just to be able to move them around seems cumbersome, and any soul attempting to play to file on a Windows computer would encounter difficulties as well.

I would highly recommend replacing ‘>’ to something more filename friendly (the same goes for snapshot filenames BTW, copying them to a fat USB drive is impossible, you need to rename or zip them to get them onto a USB drive).

The '>` is great on the Zynthian UI, and can certainly be kept, but the filenames themselves could IMHO be adjusted a bit…

3 Likes

Indeed, using ‘>’ in a filename is nothing but asking for trouble, on all platforms. And to a lesser degree, ‘:’ and ‘[]’ (even ’ ') too - they all cause different kinds of mishaps when (not if) one accidentally hits them unescaped.

Probably best avoiding all of these.

3 Likes

Hi @zynthianers!

I just improved the filename generation and now it uses “;” and “-” instead of “>” and “#”. This should avoid the problems with Windows filesystems.

Simply update and test …

Enjoy!

4 Likes