Bye Bye V4... V5 is coming!

Hi @zynthianers & eurorack lovers … or both!

The zynthian eurorack protoype is on the way and it will look like this:

We hope to have a fully functional prototype running at Sonar2023. The release should be about september, but we have doubts about the quantity we should produce.

Regarding the design, it’s splitted in 2 modules:

• V5 rack
  • Zynface V5 rack

People wanting a zynthian to mount in a a 19" rack for gigging, probably don’t need the CV/Gate.

Also, i have to say that the V5 rack design is quite deep, so don’t think in mounting it in the thinest eurorack cases. You need at less 11 cm. Anyway, don’t worry about it, we hope to offer a complete solution including an eurorack stand that could be mounted inside a 19" rack :wink:

Enjoy!

14 Likes

Wow, now I’m absolutely excited. At the moment my connection to eurorack is done by an ES-9 from Expert Sleepers via USB in zynthian’s V4 box. Works like a charm using all the input channels and mixing it down to channel 1&2 of the outputs. (with a little hacking in the autoconnect code I managed it to bend it to outputs 10&11).
Unfortunately CV signals on the ES-9 can only be generated using puredata atm, because there is no CV out possibility in zynthian’s software nor in MOD-UI directly.
How is it managed in this prototype? Is there a special CV routing so you can use CV signals from several LV2 plugins? Or is it only audio signals coming out and going in into the zynthian CV extension? Where could I get information about this?
:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So a breakiut cable to the CV/gate module would be interesting.

Depends a lot on the type of gigs one does…

2 Likes

Currently everything is bond to MIDI, what allows integrating with almost everything inside zynthian.
No “LV2’s native CV/Gate” support yet. It would be nice, but let’s proceed step by step, my friend.

You can:

INPUT:

• Assign CV-IN => MIDI CC / PITCH BEND / CHAN PRESS
  • Assign Gate-IN => MIDI CC /CC SWITCH / / NOTE / PRG CHANGE
  • Assign CV/Gate IN pair => MIDI NOTE

OUTPUT:

• Assign MIDI CC / PITCH BEND / CHAN PRESS => CV-OUT
  • Assign MIDI NOTE => Gate-OUT
  • Assign MIDI NOTE => CV/Gate OUT pair

Also, you can do bizarre things like assigning gate-in signals to CUIA. I’ve not experimented with this, but i would encourage people to find something useful/interesting to do with this.

Regards!

2 Likes

effectively reposting here is the zynseq driving the Gate OUT’s which are wired to the LED’s in this machine with the notes allocated to the same notes as are in the sequence.

It’s inverted ( LED off, when Gate Out high) but there’s a feature request in for that…

1 Like

This look beautiful,

A survey ?

Or just wait and see (after Sonar ?)

2 Likes

I Need It Now Right Now GIF - I Need It Now Right Now Asap GIFs

Besides the depth, the other issue is the power consumption. Will it still need its own power supply?

No. It can be powered from the eurorack’s 12V rail, taking about 1 Amp

1 Like

The only problem with that is that 1a of 12v is quite a lot for a eurorack device. Let me explain… This is about as powerful as any eurorack PSU I have seen and is the most popular in big cases…

It has 2.8amp on the +12v so it should work fine, but you may run out of power on other modules. It will work though.

And then a more budget / common version :-

This has 1amp total on +12v and therefore you would need to dedicate it all to zyn5.

Obviously there are other solutions and psu’s. Ymmv.

2 Likes

Yeah thanks @MrBroccoli for wording my concern much more eloquently! @jofemodo is there a planned option to maybe let us power this separately? I think my doepfer psu 3 could be up for the job but it’d be pushing it!

1 Like

Screenshot_20230525-185922_Chrome

Is this an option?

I have observed that eurorack 5V supply is often rated higher so maybe that is another option. It might be good to allow a variety of different supply options.

I use the 5v rail on my meanwell (link above) on my pi4 with a . I use the bellringer 404 soundcard with this which is usb and separately powered. 5 inch screen on the pi. I still get occasional AC :zap: DC icons on the display but it is so much more stable (months) than when i tried to use buck converters to give 5v via usb… That was very bad.

We are testing with this one:

that seems to be the opposite of the options you have shown above.

The μZEUS mixes linear and switching power technology that can produce up to 2000mA at +12V, 500mA at -12V, 170mA at +5V

Curious!

Anyway, the V5-eurorack can always be powered by the “standard” V5 PSU, that is 24 V 2A, more than enough! You could also power the zynthian using the 5V rail, but you would need 3 Amps, what probably it’s too much for most eurorack PSUs.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the thing about modular … There is no “one size fits all”

But it sounds to me like you have it under control! Bravo!

1 Like

Hi there !
Very excited by this V5.
Any ideas to when I can order and what will be approximately the prices ?
I already have a Raspberry Pi 4.

All the best to you guys =)

Y

2 Likes

AFAICR by the end of summer, now many efforts are devoted to the première of Zynthian in the Sonar Festival in a couple of weeks.

Welcome back!!!

This is pretty amazing, sign me up - Coincidently, I am building the case for my next eurorack as we speak, any guess on HP size? Dimensions? Depth doesn’t matter… I can almost guess with a scale rule from the photo, but if there is a measurement that went out to proto, that would be awesome.

Thanks much

1 Like