Bye Bye V4... V5 is coming!

The new hardware is very exciting.

I am most interested in hearing about plans for the Zynthian software - whether there are major changes coming and if so, broadly speaking, what they will be.

I too am happy with the choice of the flat container and the idea of the bracket is perfect. In this way, the Zynthian can also be mounted vertically in front of the eyes of those like me who have poor eyesight…Come on Jofemodo, maybe I have a job and if that’s the case, I’ll be among the first to place the order… …

Is the button pad completely symmetrical? It may be advantageous to allow the default buttons and the screen to be flipped 180° which may benefit users who prefer the keyboard on the other side of the screen (left / right handedness). Of course the cables would then issue from the front but it may be desirable.

I like the idea of a detachable U-shaped handle, attached with star knob screws. It defo needs to be removable. (Maybe an optional accessory.) This seems to align with @jofemodo’s idea of using side mounting. There could be four threads, two on each side. A user could attach a bracket to two of these threads to give a tilting bracket or four of these threads to give a fixed angle bracket. (Or maybe the idea is that only two threads are used and you tighten down the screws to lock the angle.)

A hand adjustable (star / thumb) screw would be beneficial. I wonder if M4 may not give the required fixing torque?

GN6335.4-2019-Hand-knobs-plastic-with-threaded-bolt-Steel-SK-Plastic-KU-Duroplast-PF

With the holes in the sides you could put an object like this… I drew it to give an idea… If designed better, turning it could also serve as a protection to the front when putting the Zynthian in the bag after the show.

This could serve as an adjustable pedestal and as a front protection… maybe made in ABS with a good 3D printer… the production price would be low…

Hi @riban !

We tried a reversible design but we cancelled. Making a reversible design is more complex than it seems. You have to duplicate internal connectors, add extra PCB routing, swapping route order to keep pin order in connectors, add an extra PCB hole for display wiring, case SD slot, etc. It also overcomplicates case design, silicone buttons, and almost everything, including software. It seems simple but it’s not simple at all. At the end you have UI elements both sides, keys on one side and pots on the other side. Benefit doesn’t compensate headaches in HW design, software maintenance and increased costs.

Regards,

1 Like

It’s going to be an optional accessory. Not everybody needs it.

The idea is to use the same M3 side holes the case already have. There are M3 insertion nuts, so M3 bolts are used instead of self-threading ones. The case have 3 holes on each side, and we plan to use 2 of them. You would remove the normal bolts and use longer ones for attaching the U.

The U bottom plane would be separated from the case bottom by 1-2 cm, so there is enough room for the M4 inserts that would form the VESA mount. It would be compatible with several VESA mount sizes:

B 4 102 2 4.4 20×50 M4 4.0
C 8 203 4.5 10 35×75 5.4
D 75mm 12 305 8 17.5 75×75, 50×75 7.4
D 12 305 14 30.8 100×100, 50×100 7.4
E 23 584 22.7 50 100×200, 50×200 7.4

Regards,

1 Like

I would be worried about M3 being sufficiently robust to hold the device securely in position!

My suggestion for reversing the case did not require any mechanical modification. I meant that you could take the standard device and turn it around so that the connectors are on the front. The only mechanical change would be to place the switch membrane 180° rotated within the case. Not ideal but a possible hack for the desperate!

4 x M3 , 2 per side, are more than enough for fixating the U adapter. Don’t be worried about that. You could hang yourself from the U part and the bolts wouldn’t break :sweat_smile:

OK! Understand. Then the answer is yes, the keypad is symmetrical and could be mounted rotated 180º.
Anyway, some work should be done in the GUI part for working like this.

Regards,

1 Like

Wow, I’m delighted to see this new version on the way. Look forward to getting one. I’d gladly welcome the offical use of a Capacitive Touch too, so is it safe to assume this is new screen Capacitive Touch?

Kind regards
James

As a eurorack fan (who currently has a eurorack zynthian) I was also initially interested in this, but decided not to bring it up because :-

A) it’s very large and rack space is very expensive.
B) it doesn’t have eurorack compatible CV/trigger type connections
C) the I/o is on the back, which would be inside my eurorack and not in a nice way.

But I still want one, just not in my rack.

For the rack, we are planning something slighty different:

But it will take a little bit to arrive yet. Only wishful thinking by now.

Regards!

5 Likes

With some CV/Gate sockets on the front too we hope :smiling_face:.

BTW, have i show you the first V5 prototype??

Perhaps some of you didn’t note we have RGB LEDs in every button? :grin: :ok_hand:

Enjoy!

23 Likes

Looks fantastic…!!!

James.

Ah… Now I need a bigger rack.

(Ooh matron)

Oh… oh my…

I would love a normal rack version, surely you’ve also got a design made for that?

Also, have you looked at using CM4s instead of Pis? At this point the Pi is acting like one, it seems to me. I might have an agenda with this question ;->

I’d buy a 61 Keyboard version in a heart beat because having Linux Sampler in a Zynthian has been one of the most positive changes to my workload ever.

One can dream, but I hope it happens some day.

3 Likes

Oh, my holymoly! It looks fantastic, with the led coloured buttons and the shiny grey container.
I very much hope that this will be the final colour finish.

Kudos: what a marvellous piece of equipment! :star_struck:

3 Likes

CM4 is not a RBPi4. It doesn’t have usb3, for instance.

Apart from this, it’s in the list for future developments :nerd_face:

Regards

2 Likes