Bye Bye V4... V5 is coming!

Besides the depth, the other issue is the power consumption. Will it still need its own power supply?

No. It can be powered from the eurorack’s 12V rail, taking about 1 Amp

1 Like

The only problem with that is that 1a of 12v is quite a lot for a eurorack device. Let me explain… This is about as powerful as any eurorack PSU I have seen and is the most popular in big cases…

It has 2.8amp on the +12v so it should work fine, but you may run out of power on other modules. It will work though.

And then a more budget / common version :-

This has 1amp total on +12v and therefore you would need to dedicate it all to zyn5.

Obviously there are other solutions and psu’s. Ymmv.

2 Likes

Yeah thanks @MrBroccoli for wording my concern much more eloquently! @jofemodo is there a planned option to maybe let us power this separately? I think my doepfer psu 3 could be up for the job but it’d be pushing it!

1 Like

Screenshot_20230525-185922_Chrome

Is this an option?

I have observed that eurorack 5V supply is often rated higher so maybe that is another option. It might be good to allow a variety of different supply options.

I use the 5v rail on my meanwell (link above) on my pi4 with a . I use the bellringer 404 soundcard with this which is usb and separately powered. 5 inch screen on the pi. I still get occasional AC :zap: DC icons on the display but it is so much more stable (months) than when i tried to use buck converters to give 5v via usb… That was very bad.

We are testing with this one:

that seems to be the opposite of the options you have shown above.

The μZEUS mixes linear and switching power technology that can produce up to 2000mA at +12V, 500mA at -12V, 170mA at +5V

Curious!

Anyway, the V5-eurorack can always be powered by the “standard” V5 PSU, that is 24 V 2A, more than enough! You could also power the zynthian using the 5V rail, but you would need 3 Amps, what probably it’s too much for most eurorack PSUs.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the thing about modular … There is no “one size fits all”

But it sounds to me like you have it under control! Bravo!

1 Like

Hi there !
Very excited by this V5.
Any ideas to when I can order and what will be approximately the prices ?
I already have a Raspberry Pi 4.

All the best to you guys =)

Y

2 Likes

AFAICR by the end of summer, now many efforts are devoted to the première of Zynthian in the Sonar Festival in a couple of weeks.

Welcome back!!!

This is pretty amazing, sign me up - Coincidently, I am building the case for my next eurorack as we speak, any guess on HP size? Dimensions? Depth doesn’t matter… I can almost guess with a scale rule from the photo, but if there is a measurement that went out to proto, that would be awesome.

Thanks much

1 Like

Here are a couple of beautiful renders from our V5 model:

Regards

3 Likes

But i must say that the real one is still better :grin:

Enjoy!

15 Likes

beautiful :star_struck:

so, it looks like Zynthian can act as an USB audio+Midi compliant device with its USB type B connector ?

Or am I just dreaming ?

2 Likes

It’s just like this. Currently only MIDI device is implemented.

3 Likes

great !

Steps after steps :innocent:

have a good Sonar Fest my friend.

1 Like

I fell in love… I hope my wife doesn’t find out!!! :pleading_face: :shushing_face:

5 Likes

Brilliant!

1 Like