Cannot control Layer with CUIA messages

I am now successfully sending CUIA messages to Zynthian. They show up in the debug log without any error (see below), but I notice that I cannot control the four parameters of the selected layer that are usually mapped to the encoders. The only one that works is “SELECT” and even that is not controlling the “knob” at the bottom right, but selects from the preset list in the middle.
Messages related to the encoder buttons are working fine and Zynthian reacts properly to messages emulating short, bold or long presses.
Another oddity is that when I have “enable touch widgets” disabled in the UI settings, any UP or DOWN message for SELECT gets interpreted twice and makes the selection skip a step.
I am not sure if I am missing something, or if I have discovered a bug.

Here is an excerpt of the log showing some of the messages:
Apr 24 16:13:45 zynthian startx[4258]: INFO:zynthian_gui.osc_cb_all: OSC MESSAGE ‘/CUIA/LAYER_UP’ from ‘osc.udp://127.0.0.1:48665/’
Apr 24 16:13:45 zynthian startx[4258]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui.callable_ui_action: CUIA ‘LAYER_UP’ => []
Apr 24 16:13:45 zynthian startx[4258]: INFO:zynthian_gui.osc_cb_all: OSC MESSAGE ‘/CUIA/LAYER_UP’ from ‘osc.udp://127.0.0.1:48665/’
Apr 24 16:13:45 zynthian startx[4258]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui.callable_ui_action: CUIA ‘LAYER_UP’ => []
Apr 24 16:13:55 zynthian startx[4258]: INFO:zynthian_gui.osc_cb_all: OSC MESSAGE ‘/CUIA/SELECT_DOWN’ from ‘osc.udp://127.0.0.1:48665/’
Apr 24 16:13:55 zynthian startx[4258]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui.callable_ui_action: CUIA ‘SELECT_DOWN’ => []
Apr 24 16:13:55 zynthian startx[4258]: INFO:zynthian_gui.osc_cb_all: OSC MESSAGE ‘/CUIA/SELECT_DOWN’ from ‘osc.udp://127.0.0.1:48665/’
Apr 24 16:13:55 zynthian startx[4258]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui.callable_ui_action: CUIA ‘SELECT_DOWN’ => []

Yep! This is a limitation. We need to change the code to handle UI on a more consistent way. It is on the to-do list but is a substantial change so needs to be carefully planned. At the moment there are few places this works. You should find out works in the sequencer.

Ahh what a shame. I just completed a utility program that maps a midi controller to the Zynthian CUIA system. It allows MIDI controllers with true encoders like the Behringer X-Touch Mini that can send “relative” CC messages to create Zynthian compliant CUIA OSC messages (including short, bold and long button presses).

1 Like

Does the Behringer X-Touch Mini support relative CC? I happen to own one, but I was not aware of any relative CC mode.

Yes it does. You have to set it in the editor software (sadly Windoze only). There is an option to set the minimum value in the encoder settings. When you open the dropdown you get three relative options at the top of the list.

1 Like