Can't update ZynthianOS to latest build / no mixer view

I’ve got a pre-assembled Zynthian V4 that came with a deprecated version of ZynthianOS installed. So old, in fact, that it didn’t even offer the main mixer view feature (the one that is shown when bold pressing the back button).

I have ran update_zynthian.sh multiple times from the CLI.
Every run adds something new to the installation, but the ZynthianOS build is still stuck in the stable-2109 release, which, I am led to believe, was released before the mixer view feature was added.

Is there a way to force the update script to pick a more recent build?

Should I change the repos sources.list file and dist upgrade the whole system to Raspbian / Debian Bullseye?

As of now, when I bold press the back button, I am taken to the old main screen, not the mixer view, as you can see in one of the attached images.

Thanks!

I have tried changing the ZynthianOS repos from the wbconf UI to stable-2308, but to no avail.

root@zynthian:~# update_zynthian.sh

----------------------------------------------
Linux Version: buster
Kernel Version: 5.10.103-v7l+
ZynthianOS Version: 2103
Virtualization: none
----------------------------------------------

Updating zynthian-sys (stable-2308)...
Already up to date.
Blocking legacy stable 2109...
Switched to branch 'stable-2109'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/stable-2109'.
Already on 'stable-2109'

I think when you have an old version that hasn’t been updated in a long time you are better off loading a fresh image onto an SD card, rather than trying to update. I’m basing that on other posts on this forum from @jofemodo and @riban if memory serves.

That is what I suspected.
I’ll flash the SD card and hope for the best.

The problem right now is that I cannot find the location of the SD card slot.
I’ve checked the different boards, but, so far, no luck,
Probably hidden somewhere below all the wiring.

Hi @nzimas.

We block update between stable releases to avoid unexpected changes. Updates to a stable release should only contain bug fixes but we do sometimes add functionality.

It should be possible to update to a later version by changing the repositories but we recommend flashing a new image to the uSD card. We further recommend making a backup and also using a different uSD card to allow reverting back if necessary.

The uSD card on the V4 is accessed via a hole in the underside of the case. Extraction and insertion is awkward. The card needs to be slid in and out but is partially obscured by the case. I tend to do the extraction by holding the case up and keeping the bottom pointing down. This reduces the risk of the uSD card falling into the case. If that happens you need to shake and tilt until you persuade it back out!

1 Like

Hi @nzimas!

Welcome to @zynthianland!

You don’t need to open the case. As @riban explained above, simply use the hole in the bottom. It’s not comfortable, but it’s enough.

Regards,

Thank you all for the valuable tips!

I have successfully flashed the SD card and now the machine is working beautifully.

The only issue I have encountered so far is that I cannot find a global midi setting that appears to be overriding the midi channel assigned to each chain.

Basically the device is behaving as if it were operating in midi omni mode.

I’m controlling the midi chains from a Novation circuit tracks, where the midi channels are correctly set.

1 Like

This is truly bizarre.

The synth chain midi channel assignments are ignored and, to make matters even more mysterious, only the latest created chain will play, irrespective of which channels are assigned on both the Zynthian and the Circuit Tracks.

Read this thread, please:

2 Likes

Got It!

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

I already regarded Zynthian in the highest esteem, after using it in some of my songs over a year ago on a V2 kit.

But I see now that the project is very much alive and evolving on all fronts.

In spite of my relative familiarity with the incredible collection of synth engines, FX and so forth, what truly blows me out of the water is the quality of many of the presets.

It makes any of the other multi-timbral desktop or rackmount synths I have owned so far completely forgettable.

5 Likes

And Zynthian has advanced to V5 unit - a lot more buttons available, larger screen. better heatsinking for the RPi (hence overclocking), and, perhaps most relevant to you in this thread, much easier access to the SD card!

1 Like

Hi @nzimas !

I really appreciate your words!
It would be really nice to listen some of your music using zynthian!

The best!

1 Like

I’d be delighted to do so, although I don’t know which of the subforms would be the appropriate place to post links to songs where I have used the Zynthian extensively.

There is a category in the forum for this:

Regards