Choosing an "Official" power supply for the zynthian shop

Hi @zynthianers!

I’ve been testing several power supplies for the zynthian and i’ve found this one that gives quite good results. This is the power supply:

And the features from the datasheet:

Certification:
CE ROHS FCC

Material:
ABS, ABS

Protection:
Short Circuit Protection, ovp, OTP, OLP, ocp, Low Tension, Over-charging, Overcurrent, Overvoltage

Function:
QC2.0, QC3.0

Brand Name:
OEM wowstrong

Model Number:
CDQQCM QC3.0 fast phone charger

Output:
3.6V-6.5V/3A, 9V/1.67A, 12V/1.5A, 6V 3A/9V 2A/12V 1.5A

Output Power:
18W

Input Voltage:
AC 100~240V 50/60HZ 0.35A

These are screenshots of the output voltage measured with an oscilloscope at different loads (without cable):

1.0A:

1.5A:

2.0A:

2.25A:

2.5A:

2.75A:

3.0A:

As you can see, it maintain a good behaviour until 2.5 A, dropping when drove over this current level.

I’ve not tested with the official RBPi 4 power supply because i’ve to cut the cable for testing it, but i think finally will do for having a good reference. Anyway, i suspect that it can’t be a lot better than this one.

I’ve also selected a nice cable with a low-enough resistance (1m long, ~0.2 Ohm each conductor) and tested both on my zynthian at very high CPU loads, with 2 keyboards + SQ1 step-sequencer, and the current never reached 2A, while the system remained completely stable, with voltage over 5V all the time.

What do you think? I would like to ear your opinions before buying a batch of these toys … :wink:

Thanks!

3 Likes

Those round pins sticking up on top of your picture are like a gesture of defiance to anyone not using the European mains outlet! Yes it is used by a lot of the world but not all!

2 Likes

Hi @riban!

The power supply is available as EU & US versions, but that’s all. I would offer these 2 options and hope that users of “less common” plug types would have adapters or will choose another power supply.

I can’t do much more … well … or yes??? in fact we could conquer GB and impose metric system, driving by right, europlug, € … but we are so sweet that GB’s rain would dissolve our bodies, so we prefer to lay on our hamacas and wait for people from north invade our beaches and drink our wine … although not this year :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers!

6 Likes
  1. good idea: buyer will have all he needs to start palying (a sd card with a working zynthian setup would be great too imho)
  2. regarding characteristics, I can’t tell you as I don’t have the technical skills …

Hello… Is that Gibraltar…?

Are good,

Yes, Wet and Windy of course, when is it ever different…?

Sunny… Well that’s alright for some…

Yes, as I said on the Raven I have a small mission for you…

He’s in Barcelona…

… Any way really, if it involved electricity so much the better . . . .

I didn’t say this, I wasn’t here…

1 Like

I rarely blow the GB trumpet (it’s tarnished very badly!), but our power plugs are the sturdiest, safest and easiest to wire that I have seen. Would that the world had adopted our standard… :wink:

2 Likes

I like the thin profile of the power supply, so you can plug two of these on adjacent plugs !
It looks small, that is an advantage, but does it gets really hot on heavy loads or stays safe ?

This could work, but the USB cable has to be something that can deliver the current without much voltage drop.

The official raspberry power supply has a good reputation. Only downside I can think of is the space it takes on a cluttered power strip.
I helped myself with some 20cm long Euro extension cable.

I just tested the RBPi font, cutting the cable and … woaoooo!! It’s a rock!!! Really good … it didn’t drop bellow 5.1 V until 3.4 A!! And the cable … yes, it’s very good too!! Much better than any other USB cable you can buy at a reasonable price. So …

I decided to offer the RBPi power supply on the zynthian shop. I will get very little economic profit from this, but new zynthianers would have the opportunity of including the best power supply on his zynthian order, and, i hope, the number of power supply issues would be reduced, what it’s definitely a good point for the project :wink:

Regards,

7 Likes

Good to know. Thank you for having sacrified an innocent USB cable for the community :wink:

What are you thinking about that ?

And, if ever the bag will be available again, that could be a super mega combo Christmas gift

Sorry, I would prefer to not do that because of several reasons:

• Recording SD cards takes time
  • Burning a bunch of SD cards in a mass-burning facility is not an option because it’s very difficult to predict when a new image will be released and i don’t want to eat the SD-cards.
  • I don’t feel comfortable with the idea of selling free software that you can download for free.
  • LinuxSampler license (read this)
  • Zynthian users MUST be capable of burning a SD-card. Please …

Cheers!

4 Likes

Ok, I understand. I agree.

inside…