Compatible problem with Roli Rise?

Hi, I connect my Zynthian with Roli Rise via USB and it works normal with piano mode and single channel mode, but my problem is that when I turn Roli to multi channel mode, it makes the keys on my Roli go to different midi channel, it makes that hard to set up and some keys would change Zynthian box program! e.g. when I push a key on Roli and Zynthian box change to snapshot page.
So my problem is can I use Roli as it should be with some setup?

What does this multi channel mode do?
The Zynthian has a master channel.
On that channel you are able to control it like changing the program.
Maybe we need the option to turn it off.
Are you able to set it to channel 17, that does not exist?

Thanks for your reply.
For the multi channel mode, I think it works like if I press two keys on the keyboard, it would separate to two midi channel.When I change the parameter for one midi channel(which is just a up and down movement for Roli rise), it would not change the other channel.
I can not set it to channel 17or anything above 16.

Only 16 MIDI channels are defined by the MIDI protocol :wink:

The Roli MPE spec is outlined here: https://rolisupport.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/36000027933-what-is-mpe-

It also says that global parameters, presumably including programme change, should be sent on channel 1.

There is also a big list of software that uses MPE, the only one that I recognised as open source was Vember Surge.

It might be possible to create an lv2 plugin that listens to all channels and can manage multiple instances of, say OB-Xd running one osc each, to provide a compatibility mode to none MPE softsynths. For the rpi you’d likely need to limit the polyphony though.

I.e.link channel 1 to all instances for global changes, then spin up 8 instances of OB-Xd, and multiplex channels 1 &9, 2&10, 3&12 etc, to their own instances.

Sure.i hoped for a bug to make a quick test.

This is MPE compatibility and i think that now that surge (kinda) runs on zynthian we could try and make this work. I have a seaboard and a lightpad from roli and i do use them in the desktop with surge.

I connect things with carla in the desktop, would it be possible to either:
a) create a mpe entry in the midi channel selection menu, and “classify” devices as mpe and make exclusive connections.
b) detect midi devices that are connected and be able to select them as input (kinda like the carla interface)

I really would like to be able to use my mpe instruments with zynthian and this would bring the proyect to many places as a standalone MPE compatible unit, maybe gather more interest and contributors

1 Like

Just a matter of interest. Does Zynthian have a mpe mode? I read this on various internetplatforms, but could not find any specific information on this or a verification.

I am thinking in lines of buying a Roli SEABOARD RISE 2.