Controlling Volume of several MIDI instaces

I have also noticed that this is an important extension in order to be able to work multi-timbrally and rationally. Great that you have started a solution so quickly!

I will come to test it tomorrow, but then I also have a Korg nanocrontrl (on loan).

Hi Brian,

Have done this now. I can see the Mixer (alpha) menu and I can enter, but I cannot change anything by touching. The descriptions below the channel strips are currently unreadable on my Zynthian-v2.0 display (OzMaker-3.5")

But I also tested the Korg nanoKontroll2 by mapping MIDI-Channel/MIDI-CCs on the faders and with fairly good success: Only OBxD refuses to cooperate with the Midi-CC 7 from the nanoKontrol2. Perhaps there is a default MIDI-CC-mapping missing.

I noticed that Dexed also has problems with MIDI-CC. I think I have to rebase some code to the working code of MicroDexed…

Regards, Holger

The channel strip was added quickly and is likely to be difficult to read / populate with sensible text. I will have a think. I don’t know why you can’t adjust levels by dragging faders. It may be related to the mute function I last added which toggles of you press and hold the fader for half a second. I am going to change that. Are you not seeing the faders change when you drag then?

MIDI control of CC 7 is a related but different thing. It is certainly a useful feature and we should try to ensure all engines respond to it out of the box. I think we should also try to ensure volume for each instrument appears in the same location in the control screens, e.g. first control on first page.

Is the nanocontrol2 becoming the standard zynthian interface for mixer control?

do not respond by default or are not “midi learn” at all for CC7:

Calf Monosynth, Helm, Nekobi, Noise Mak3r, Obxd, Raffo Synth, Triceratops, Vex, Wolpertinger, amsynth … the list is incomplete…

1 Like

nanokontrol2 is ok, but I would prefer Akai Midimix as I would rather have a few more pots than play/pause/record buttons.

Unfortunately, switching from stepseq branch to mixer branch (and also to master branch) produce a blank screen.

This will be an incompatibility in the zynseq file between those versions. (Can only go forward, not back in version.) It will be resolved when we merge zynseq into master which @jofemodo is currently working on… or am I??? (I am not!)

To get it working, simplest is to delete the .zynseq file from /zynthian/zynthian-my-data/sequences. (I think. I am in the garden with beer and BBQ so can’t (won’t) validate that right now!)

2 Likes

Ohhh yesssss, milord …

1 Like

Oy! less of this you’re all peasantry from where I sit . . .

In other news the first slider on a nanocontrol2 operates the zynthian select list on the GUI . . . .

zynmixer is the current branch?

Do I need other branches to be set?

zynthian-bigtouch zynthian_webconf.sh[665]: File “/home/pi/zynthian/webconf/lib/jalv_lv2_handler.py”, line 31, in
zynthian-bigtouch zynthian_webconf.sh[665]: import zyngine.zynthian_lv2 as zynthian_lv2
zynthian-bigtouch zynthian_webconf.sh[665]: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘zyngine.zynthian_lv2’

Got it now I think.

Control is a bit odd from the nanoKontrol2 doesn’t seem to do anything but first fader alters all alsa mixer settings in sync!!

But slider one selects the channel …
I can select a channel but touch doesn’t do anything.

disable “Single Channel Mode”…

Already disabled.

Control MIDI Channel Control Change Range
First slider CH1 Control Change 0 0 -> 127
R Sw CH1 Control Change 64 127 <>0
M Sw CH1 Control Change 48 127 <>0
S Sw CH1 Control Change 32 127 <>0
Top Encoder CH1 Control Change 16 0 > 127
Second slider CH1 Control Change 1 0 > 127
R Sw CH1 Control Change 65 127 <>0
M Sw CH1 Control Change 49 127 <>0
S Sw CH1 Control Change 33 127 <>0
Top Encoder CH1 Control Change 17 0 > 127
<< CH1 Control Change 43 127 <>0
>> CH1 Control Change 44 127 <>0
Stop CH1 Control Change 42 127 <>0
play > CH1 Control Change 41 127 <>0
Rec o CH1 Control Change 45 127 <>0
cycle CH1 Control Change 46 127 <>0
set (Marker) CH1 Control Change 60 127 <>0
< (Marker) CH1 Control Change 61 127 <>0
< (Marker) CH1 Control Change 62 127 <>0
< (Track) CH1 Control Change 58 127 <>0
> (Track) CH1 Control Change 59 127 <>0

127 <>0 ( 127 on Press 0 on release)
CH#01 CONTROL_CHANGE 58 => 127
CH#01 CONTROL_CHANGE 58 => 0

0 -> 127 Variable control
CH#01 CONTROL_CHANGE 0 => 0
CH#01 CONTROL_CHANGE 0 => 1

CH#01 CONTROL_CHANGE 0 => 126
CH#01 CONTROL_CHANGE 0 => 127

2 Likes

Hi @C0d3man. Will you please try the latest commit on zynmixer branch? I have rotated the channel legends through 90° and added the engine and preset name. This makes it far more useful.
This image is taken from a screen running at 480x320 and even with onscreen buttons and all 16 channels showing it seems okay.

1 Like

Hi Brian @riban,

many thanks!!! I will try as soon as my “beer-to-the-fridge-job” allows me to use my Zynthian again…

Regards, Holger

Hi @riban,

Now I can also see the labels well. But there are still a few problems:

1. the channel selection is inaccurate further to the left: If I tap channel 1, channel 2 is selected. I can select the master on the far right. This is probably missing a “+ 1” somewhere…

1. I can’t make any changes: the only thing that works (halfway) is the channel selection.

I’m afraid that the display is too small to be used with fingers. At least live it might be too difficult to adjust single tracks. But for composing “at home” this is a great help!

Regards, Holger

Hi @riban!

It seems very cool, really, but …

Most of times (>99%) we will be using only a few channels (2, 3, 4, 5), but very rarely 16! I think the mixer should show configured channels only, optimizing screen usage and improving UX for smaller displays. Wider bars are easier to drag, etc.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Configured channels only and if you want to put percussion in on 10 then you are going to get a standard look :smiley:

Perhaps control best bailed out to external USB hardware and the display used as a mixer/ layer display?

I think there’s an increased danger of collapsed on the mixer from touchscreens at this central kind of function, but I’ve not used them in that way so I’m probably just being an old fuddy duddy.

Opens enormous vaulted room with many, many scribbling scribes…

How good are peoples touchscreen mappings for this. . … ?

@C0d3man I wonder if your touchscreen calibration is good? Try turning on cursor to see how close the touch is to where it’s detected. Also try with a mouse. My touchscreen and mouse accurately select the correct channel.

Maybe you need to manually build the library. I haven’t added a recipe for that yet. SSH then:

cd /zynthian/zyntian-ui/zynmixer/build
make

Also, any existing snapshots will be routed to main output. You will need to remove all latest then add them to get them routed through the mixer.

@jofemodo I agree and tried to implement this but for bogged down and commented out the code. 16 channels are quite useable on a 7" touchscreen and quite visible on a 3.5" screen where you are more likely to use the encoders to adjust values. My first attempt was to remove unused channels but that was silly. We can have a configuration which allows user to choose how many channels to display (maybe with some automagic default) and scroll to display hidden channels. There is a step along the bottom which I plan to use as a drag step for horizontal scrolling. (This also serves as an overrun area for dragging fader down.)

@wyleu The channels adopt the MIDI channel number from the layer so a percussion track on MIDI channel 10 will appear on mixer channel 10. I intend to add MIDI and OSC control. The soft switching should reduce zipping when used with MIDI 7-bit control. I have started to think this feels like a central location from which other areas might be accessed, e.g. you can already go to the channel’s control screen but imagine being able to add layers from the mixer and manipulate then… a hub - I am getting ahead of myself!

I will adjust the channel’s, probable first just reducing quantity and implementing scrolling then later hiding unconfigured channels. But today… more work in kitchen. Will it never ends? It feels like one of @wyleu’s dungeons with torture chamber.

1 Like

Yes, you are right: I forgot to calibrate the touch… Now the selection is better - but difficult on a 3.5" screen.

Ok, that was the root cause for the faders. Had to add a cmake .:

cd /zynthian/zynthian-ui/zynmixer/
cmake .
make
make install

So I started with cleared layers, added ZynAddSubFX to #2 and Fluidsynth to #10. I switched to the Audio Mixer and I still can only select the channels but I can’t move any faders.

Regards, Holger

I have continued the discussion of mixer here as it may be a more appropriate thread.
@C0d3man I am not sure what is going on with your issue. Will you try the latest version on zynmix branch? I suggest continuing discussion in other topic.

1 Like