CV/Gate input/output

Iā€™ve not detected any problem with this, but if your setup is near the limit, any power increase could push the system above the line. Have you tried to disconnect some device or the zynaptik?

Regards,

I did not disconnect the zynaptik, what I did to resolve the problem is to connect my device (Akai mpd226) via the Midi port instead of USB and power it with a separate source, now everything is all right.
Iā€™m pretty sure there is something with the new modules soldered because before I always connected via USB on the Pi to do Midi and power the Akai and never had any warning, maybe I have soldered the wrong way Iā€™ll double check this :wink: on my previous picture, the 2 vertical modules have the [+] on top is that correct ?

Yes, itā€™s right. I will try to measure the power used by the 2 modules ā€¦

Regards,

1 Like

Wow! You guys are amazing! Just beginning to imagine what is possible with Vcv rack and this fabled moduleā€¦ Any chance that software integration has occurred?

I might brave a build if so, and the modules are not out yet.

Hi @defbug!

Welcome to the zynthian community!

Please, could you explain a little bit what do you mean with using VCV-rack with zynthian? How do you intend to integrate both?

BTW, the CV/Gate interface for zynthian is not yet finished ā€¦

Regards,

hmmm well. I had initially assumed that I could access the gui through Zynhtian and was thinking of finding a way to add a 7 inch touchscreen and custom design an enclosure with all i o facing up to use with my modular and hardware synths. Now I am seeing that I was mistaken and that though vcv runs on linux there may not be way to use in the zynthian environment. Btw in case you cannot tell. I am a rank newbie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s a good idea, but itā€™s going to require a fair amount of development. The most straightforward way would to build a separate VCVRack pi distribution that pulls in whatā€™s needed from zynthian code and utilises the zynthian hardware modules. The idea of being able to patch from software out to hardware and back is quite appealing.

1 Like

Just for updating the thread:

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Adding_Extra_I/O_with_the_Zynaptik_Module

The current state of CV-Gate imeplementation on zynthian is:

• We have 4 analog inputs that can be assigned to MIDI CC, Pitch Bending or Chan Press.
  • These analog inputs work in the range of 0-5V. It would be nice to have a CV-IN circuit that would adapt different CV signals to the 0-5V range. This would be a nice contribution ā€¦ :wink:
  • We have up to 20 extra digital inputs that could be used as ā€œGate-INā€ but ā€¦
  • There is no software implementation for this, although it could be done quite easily.

Regards,

1 Like

FYI, a ā€œZynaptik Customization Kitā€ will be available very soon on the zynthian shop at almost cost-price. I wonā€™t make much money with this, but I hope it will ease the task and finally have some people experimenting with the zynaptik analog inputs and perhaps helping me to design an ā€œalmost-universal CV-IN circuitā€. Iā€™ve no experience with the CV -Gate thing and some help would be really welcome!! :wink:

Regards,

4 Likes

:eyes:

:rofl:

Let me figure what you do find so funny ā€¦ mmmmm ā€¦ is it this proposal?

or perhaps this assertion:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:rofl:

I was going to look at this but am a bit busy and I reckon it will require external circuit to match levels.

1V/octave generally spans 0-10V.

No no no noā€¦

The thing I am amusing myself with is that my module order is a different attempt at interfacing my zynth with a eurorack.

Itā€™s like I have set my bank account on fire, and I am pouring on petrol and I am laughing about it ā€¦

2 Likes

CV/Gate implementation is ready for IN & OUT:

Regards,

1 Like

As Riban statet a level amplification has to be done to reach the usual 0ā€¦10V de facto standard. Someone has to do it, so I think Iā€™d like to take this task.
Hmmmā€¦ Some question (I did not find the schematic):
What Vdd do you supply for ADS1115 / MCP4728 (I reckon 3.3V?)
Have a nice day. Thorsten

Hi @Stupps !

Everything you need is here:

Regards,

1 Like

Hi, sorry, Iā€™m still trying to reach some overviewā€¦

Ehmmmā€¦ Am I right, do both MCP23017 (the primary and the secondary) share the same two interrupt-lines (GPIO 16 & 26)? I read (maybe outdated) different entries hereā€¦

I was wondering, if it would be necessary (or nice) to have a switchable level amplification. And if ā€˜yesā€™, which GPIO I was supposed to useā€¦

I found a tiny XL6009-module to generate supply voltage.

Sorry for my rusted english.
Bye
Thorsten

1 Like

No, they must be different because of the current software implementation.
You canā€™t run the old AllInOne with the Zynaptik because both MCP23017 share the IRQ pins.
The Zynscreen use different IRQ pins and it works OK with the zynaptik.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi, what is the i2s address for the Zynaptik-3? In a separate yet possibly unrelated issue i am getting a dogged error message: : ZYNAPTIK CV-OUT => Canā€™t write MCP4728 (DAC) registers. ERROR -2

Argh!!!

1 Like

Hi @magneticstripper !

Zynaptik-3 doesnā€™t use i2s at all. This is used by the audio chips.
The Zynaptik-3 EXTENDED use several i2c addresses for the different chips:

• 0x21 for the MCP23017
  • 0x48 for the ADS1115
  • 0x60-0x64 for the MCP4728

If the MCP4728 uses 0x60 you could have conflict with the soundcard driver, but it should be fixed in recent SD-images. If not, i think @riban have a recipe for patching the issue.

Of course, all this only applies if your module is a zynaptik3-EXTENDED, with ALL parts soldered on.
Recent SD-images will auto-detect the chips and the I2C addresses, so itā€™s easy to know what zynaptik version you have and what i2C addresses are used by it. Simply check the webconf dashboard.

Regards,

1 Like